Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You Are The One - Mixed by Simman
(05-05-2014, 12:56 AM)simman Wrote: I cleaned-up the lower mids on the acoustic guitar a bit and pushed the top end as well. The acoustic guitar track quality is not all that good to begin with but I chalk that up to being an old recording . Nevertheless it has a bit more air than my original mix.

Yes, but I think you could push the EQ a lot harder and get a lot more air. It sounds good, though. Strange, phasey sound to it. I wasn't sure what to make of that at first but after I got into the mix I realized that the sound worked perfectly with the song! Just needs to be a little brighter overall. Smile

Actually, "old" recordings don't usually sound like that. I suspect, based on the AC hum in the recording, that even the original recording was not so great even before the tape deteriorated. This is unfortunate as recordings from that era, on state-of-the-art gear, usually rival the quality of today's recordings, aside from the tape noise.

(05-05-2014, 12:56 AM)simman Wrote: To address the piano I did a few things but the biggest impact was actually swapping the location in the pan field with the hammond. Slight cut around 250-300Hz and added about +3db more at 5K and added high shelf to smooth out the top end.. There are spots where the piano jumps out too much and needs more volume automation. I will say that the piano part, IMO is lack luster and not very interesting which is why I set it back in my original mix.

Well, personally I enjoyed it, only finding the recording itself to be a little sub-par. Though you did a nice job of giving it some life here. Wink

Love the way that nice, thick bass jumps out at you when the Hammond kicks in! Big Grin

One problem: the congas sound awfully dull. To sharpen them up in my own mix, I applied an 11 dB boost at 2200 Hz, a 24 dB boost at 5500 Hz, a hipass at 150 Hz and some gentle compression.
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince

Messages In This Thread
You Are The One - Mixed by Simman - by simman - 07-04-2014, 03:47 AM
RE: You Are The One - Mixed by Simman - by simman - 07-04-2014, 08:07 PM
RE: You Are The One - Mixed by Simman - by simman - 01-05-2014, 06:13 AM
RE: You Are The One - Mixed by Simman - by simman - 05-05-2014, 12:56 AM
RE: You Are The One - Mixed by Simman - by Pedaling Prince - 05-05-2014, 01:46 AM