Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Voelund - 'Comfort Lives In Belief'
I was actually referring to vinyl pressings. I'm pretty unfamiliar with recording on tape other than anecdotal stories because it largely fell out of favor when I was very young. One of the last big releases before the analog tape revival recently was Nevermind, by Nirvana, and I think I was only 5 or 6 at the time Tongue.

Seems I heard that if there were too much low end on a vinyl pressing, or if it were panned too far to one side, it can cause the needle to skip, so those frequency regions were cut out for records. Something like that Tongue. I don't think much of the consumer level speaker systems of the day could even get as low as 40 unless you were the type who invested in big cabs with 10 inch subwoofers like my dad Tongue. You'd probably know more about this topic than I because you seem very well read on it. Big Grin

But more on topic, I think it's a good idea to mix classic rock with more bass if the situation is appropriate. In fact, the days of analog recording were the days when studio budgets allowed for much better acoustic considerations than you often see these days when the recording industry is suffering so much, so many of those old cuttings probably have great acoustic qualities in the bass, and that'd create more appeal for the modern audience who has become accustomed to more bass. In this particular situation, I took one look at the spectral analyzer and how wobbly it was down on the bottom, so I hedged my bets Tongue My ears are very very sensitive to bass and subs though (too much is uncomfortable), so I think I often undercook them in many mixes.

Thanks as always for the discussion. I always seem to learn something about the past that I can use in my understanding of the present. Juan, I hope you're listening! Tongue
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Voelund - 'Comfort Lives In Belief' - by pauli - 12-03-2014, 04:16 AM