Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Voelund: 'Comfort Lives In Belief' - Olli H

Thanks for listening

With this version I was going after a modern retro sound. When mixing others songs, I always try to find new different references, just to widen my limited taste. Now that I listen my mix again without listening any modern references, I certainly feel, that this one game out to be little too bright.

The low end is certainly one of my weak points. My room is quite good and somewhat flat in the listening position, but I don't have any sub. But main thing, at the moment I don't have needed skills to make modern tight bass sound. In this case hi-pass filter around 30-40 Hz would have been a good idea. But I'm practising and studying the subject all the time. So, hopefully someday.

One reason for modern sibilance problem is that nowadays the mic tends to be too close the singer. But if one doesn't have superstudio in use, one must use close miking to prevent even worse problems caused by room. In those old days recordings were almost always done in good studios where one could have proper distance to mic.

Here's one clip where The Beatles study the artistic possibilities of sibilance.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWkdDKqVvCM

Messages In This Thread
RE: Voelund: 'Comfort Lives In Belief' - Olli H - by Olli H - 06-03-2014, 11:50 AM