Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jonny Lokke - Whisper To A Scream
(04-01-2014, 04:28 PM)Jacques Wrote: Here my mix of this killing song, let me know what's good and what's bad Smile

You've got the skeleton of a good mix here. Nice balance on the vocals, struggling to be heard against the guitars but understandable, exactly the way hard rock vocals should sound IMHO. Wink

Guitars, however, feel a wee bit squashed, like somebody grabbed their sound between their hands and squeezed it together. Sounds like too much compression to me. Remember that overdriven electric guitar tends to be self-compressing; there is rarely, if ever, a reason to apply compression to overdriven guitar.

I will concede, however, that the compression does impart an interesting effect on the lead guitar at 2:50. That sounded pretty cool. Cool

Guitars felt a little constrained; they didn't have the stereo width that they really needed. However, as I struggled with this myself I can understand how difficult it is to "widen" these guitars. I suggest you ask Voelund for advice here; he did something AMAZING with these guitars in this song (you should check out his mix Wink).

Vocals seemed a little dry at first but I realized as the song went on that the sound suited the mix. Backing vocals, however, are WAY understated; I feel they should come forward a good 3-5 dB.

Drums sound awesome! Kick's just a LITTLE too much; might pull that down a dB or two. Otherwise great!

When I mixed this, I was aiming for a classic 80's hard rock sound. You seem to be going for a more modern sound. Not the choice I would have made for this song but, taken on its own merits, your overall approach works pretty well. Smile
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince

Messages In This Thread
Jonny Lokke - Whisper To A Scream - by Jacques - 04-01-2014, 04:28 PM
RE: Jonny Lokke - Whisper To A Scream - by Pedaling Prince - 07-01-2014, 02:40 AM
RE: Jonny Lokke - Whisper To A Scream - by thedon - 08-01-2014, 08:26 AM