Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comfort Lives in Belief great mix
(31-12-2013, 03:11 PM)Voelund Wrote: Its harder to use words than give a listenin example, heres my mix of it from when I made it. I think the drums in your mix has not as muc lowend and impact as I remember.
The voice loud ? well I have grown to like a voice that more blends with the music. Thats a matter of taste and something you shouldnt worry too much about, some like blondes, some brunettes right Big Grin

So this is your mix, huh? I do have a few suggestions but I have to say it's good enough to be very distracting. I was listening on headphones. I tend to walk around the room when I just listen to music and I got so into "the grove" here that I strayed too far from my stereo and accidentally yanked the cord right out of the jack... Blush

That being said, this is the best mix I've heard of your song other than my own. Given that this is your creative baby that doesn't surprise me. Smile I just have a few comments.

Drums all on the left is an interesting choice but it's the one thing about this mix that bugged me; I found that distracting. When bands are set up on stage the drummer tends to be in the center so that's where I expect the drum sound to be in ANY mix. Some stereo width to the kit overall, of course, but I think it should sit in center.

As far as the instrument mix goes, my ONLY complaint was the electric guitar was a tad sharp. Nothing serious, and of course very much a matter of taste, anyway; considering that this is your song that's a suggestion you can safely ignore.

One other thing. I found your vocals were a little too far back in this mix; they tended to get lost during the bigger moments of the song.

I find this is a common problem with people who engineer their own singing. We're all our own worst critics and tend to be much more critical of our own signing voices than others might be. Singers who mix their own music, therefore, subconsciously tend to bury their vocals in the hope of covering up the "flaws." Rolleyes

Dude, your voice is excellent. I know; I heard the soloed vocal track before I applied any reverb or processing to it. It has that perfectly laid back bluesy/70s/gospel feel this song needs. It deserves to shine, not hide. Smile

I deliberately avoid listening to original mixes before doing my own mix of a song (other than a quick boo at a preview to see if I like the song enough to bother doing a mix in the first place, and to get an idea of overall feel) so I've never heard your mix here until today.

I'm glad to say I like your version almost as much as my own; if not for the above mentioned quibbles it would easily be an even match for mine. Even better, really, insofar as, being your mix, it would better reflect your artistic intention. Wink

I hope you plan to post more multitracks; I'd love to work with your work again. Cool
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince

Messages In This Thread
RE: Comfort Lives in Belief great mix - by Pedaling Prince - 06-01-2014, 05:42 AM