Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blood to Bone - AZ Mix
Okay, here's my take on this one.

This was a tough mix for me. Setting the tone was relatively easy except for the vocal which, unlike Pennies, are rather reserved here and required different treatment.

The real challenge, though, was the fact that there are parts of this that are laregely unsinspiring, musically. Therefore, to try to make up for that, it is a pretty effects heavy mix and took a long time to work out. I'm more or less satisfied in that regard (even on the outro, save for those softly enunciated bvox tracks which I duplicated, rearranged, duplicated again, and then added a couple of tracks of my own voice to get some tonal divergence to try to fatten them up and make them sound a bit bigger at the very end.) I'm basically satisfied with the mix except for the drums. I'm happy with the kick but the rest of the kit I just couldn't figure out how to get to sound big and aggressive. Once again, I think my listening environment has something to do with that and it might play better elsewhere. I also tried a different method of applying delay and reverb here which I think might have actually made some things worse....

Anyway, let me know what you think here and if you have any suggestions, especially from the more experienced crowd here, I'm quite open to hearing them. (Any chance to learn!)

.mp3    Blood To Bone v1.mp3 --  (Download: 9.42 MB)

Old West Audio

Anyway, let me know what you think here and if you have any suggestions, especially from the more experienced crowd here, I'm quite open to hearing them. (Any chance to learn!)
[/quote]

I know this is an old one....

balance is good up until the chorus. The space guitar lead is taking over everything and becoming the focal point when its not supposed to be.
But then in the solo part its 3 db. louder than before, I think if you carve out the guitars to sit n the mix better and play nicely with everyone then you won't need such a jarring volume change.
Try to get you drum kit more exciting and it will enhance the rest of your mix.
I like the snare sound but it mostly sounds like its coming from the over heads and not the snare mic. It sound pushed back in the mix.
The same goes for the toms. You need more weight to the toms because they sound like the bottom end is gone.
Bass needs more low end to offset the annoying guitar tone.
The kick drum is a little tubby but its close, a little click will help even it out and maybe tightly notch 100 hz. like 5-6 Q
The reverb used on the kick is making it sound like a flam when it hits. That first reflection is not helping keep the kick tight.

The effects are cool but take over and they change styles before a pattern can be established. I hope this helps if you decide to remix.
Cheers.
My Original Music

"One often learns more from ten days of agony than ten years of contentment."

Pro Tools 12.6/Studio One 3 Pro
Studiolive 16 Series III
Yamaha HS5/HS8
Console 1