Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dead Roses
Hi, this is my mix of this. Please help to comment thx. Smile

Ps: oops. there is some screw up in the conversion of the audio format. Also realised that the first one is not hot enough.

I'm having trouble with the timbre of the acoustic guitar and the piano in the mix.

.mp3    16538.5438ccad8aabd.mp3 --  (Download: 5.4 MB)

.mp3    dead roses master 2 (3).mp3 --  (Download: 8.85 MB)

Hey Daniel. (listened to version 2)

Honestly, in many ways this sounds pretty good to me... the sort of sonics you'd expect from an old john denver record. However, it's very lacking in bass, and I think a more solid low end foundation would help you sort some of the timbre issues you're having. Another thing you can try is sweeping the EQ on the offending instrument with a narrow bandwidth peaking boost to help you locate the source of the problem... doing the same on the mix buss can help sort any sort of frequency buildups you might encounter as well.

So I'm not familiar with the raw audio, but to my ears it sounds like the acoustic guitar might have a few colorful resonances that aren't working toward the sonic appeal of the instrument. Although, it also sounds like you were pretty aggressive with the EQ, and that can cause post-ringing and create the impression of a resonance. In acoustic music, especially in an open arrangement such as this, it's usually a good idea to keep processing as minimal as possible and favor automation to broad brush, set and forget inserts where possible.

If it's helpful, my gut is telling me you've got some odd frequencies poking out here and there on each instrument. I think there's some sort of color going on around 800 in the acoustic that's giving you a timbre issue... if it's a resonance, a narrow notch might work, or might make it worse, but I've found almost every acoustic guitar recording can benefit from at least a little dip in that range. Something around 400 or 500 is bugging me in the piano just a teeny bit, and that's a region where guitars are often better placed, so it's possible you can allow a little more higher order mid from the piano, less from the guitar, and favor the guitar in the 4 to 500 range. The female vocal has a low mid resonance peeking out here and there and could benefit from a little more dynamic management.

I'd like to see you commenting on mixes, guy... I can talk all day, but you're going to learn more from giving feedback and training your ears than I could ever teach you. Take a look at some other mixes of this tune and see if you're liking the timbres better... give a few comments and you might be able to find out how they did it just by asking!

Keep up the good work.. improvement since your last mix.
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
Thank you for your reply pauli. Will work on the above especially on the EQ and critical listening.
(18-10-2014, 12:30 AM)pauli Wrote: Hey Daniel. (listened to version 2)

Honestly, in many ways this sounds pretty good to me... the sort of sonics you'd expect from an old john denver record. However, it's very lacking in bass, and I think a more solid low end foundation would help you sort some of the timbre issues you're having. Another thing you can try is sweeping the EQ on the offending instrument with a narrow bandwidth peaking boost to help you locate the source of the problem... doing the same on the mix buss can help sort any sort of frequency buildups you might encounter as well.

So I'm not familiar with the raw audio, but to my ears it sounds like the acoustic guitar might have a few colorful resonances that aren't working toward the sonic appeal of the instrument. Although, it also sounds like you were pretty aggressive with the EQ, and that can cause post-ringing and create the impression of a resonance. In acoustic music, especially in an open arrangement such as this, it's usually a good idea to keep processing as minimal as possible and favor automation to broad brush, set and forget inserts where possible.

If it's helpful, my gut is telling me you've got some odd frequencies poking out here and there on each instrument. I think there's some sort of color going on around 800 in the acoustic that's giving you a timbre issue... if it's a resonance, a narrow notch might work, or might make it worse, but I've found almost every acoustic guitar recording can benefit from at least a little dip in that range. Something around 400 or 500 is bugging me in the piano just a teeny bit, and that's a region where guitars are often better placed, so it's possible you can allow a little more higher order mid from the piano, less from the guitar, and favor the guitar in the 4 to 500 range. The female vocal has a low mid resonance peeking out here and there and could benefit from a little more dynamic management.

I'd like to see you commenting on mixes, guy... I can talk all day, but you're going to learn more from giving feedback and training your ears than I could ever teach you. Take a look at some other mixes of this tune and see if you're liking the timbres better... give a few comments and you might be able to find out how they did it just by asking!

Keep up the good work.. improvement since your last mix.

Hi, I am new to this website and am in the process of creating my own mix of this song. This comment is a little late so Idk if it will be helpful but I just thought I would put in my two cents. I listened to your 2nd mix Daniel and Pauli had some good points. I will reiterate some of what he said however, it sounds like you tried to compensate the tonality of the instruments with reverberation? I wouldn't put any reverb on the acoustic guitar. Rather boost some frequencies to thicken the guitar up. I think you are heading in the right direction though. But less is more especially with certain fx. I would fine tune your eq. I recommend using an RTA for assistance. That should help you with what to boost and what to cut. And like Paulie said, bass was not present. Did you use compression at all? I wouldn't be overwhelmed here. But just look back on your eq and mix =)

Hope this helps!