Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Penniless Wild - Seat Back
Hey Folks,

my last post was from 2014, thought i had to change that... Im glad about comments! Tryed to really focus on the vocals. Altough the lyrics seem to never change, it was the most interesting part to me. Also i mixed mainly on Headphones, so im realy interested in how that might affect my mix.

.mp3    Penniless Wild - Seat Back.mp3 --  (Download: 5.09 MB)

Hi Hainwerker,

I think you did a nice job cleaning up the plosives on the lead vocal. On the other side of the coin it’s just my feeling that the grit you have added to the bass distracts from the natural grit in the lead vocal. Also regarding the bass in the intro.. well it comes in for just a short time and then is gone again for a reason I’m not sure of. I’m not convinced there was anything wrong with the original arrangement. I think you’ve done some really good things here and would love to hear a version with more of the original bass tone and arrangement Smile

Cheers,
Eastwood
Nobody cares what plugins you use, it's only what comes out of the speakers that matters.
You have a great drum sound and the vocal sounds really good. The only thing getting me is the balance is off.
I think the vocal could come down a smidge and the arpeggiated guitar can come up. Actually I feel all the midrange instruments could come up in volume. Its hard doing headphone mixes. That's all I had for a few years so I know the difficulties involved.
so nice work
Hey Guys, thank you both for your replys!
I tried to involve your suggestions in my second mix. For me personally the arrangement was a little bit to straight foreward. it seemed like a straight buildup from start to end, i would have loved some interruptions of that. Thats where that muted bass came from. (Might not have been the best way to do it Big Grin) But the tip with the driven bass was good! I didnt want it to fight with the vocals. In terms of the balance: For me getting the right volume of everything is still the hardest thing to do , while also the most important. I brought guitars+keys and the vocals a little bit closer together on my second mix. Hope you like it Wink

.mp3    Penniless Wild - Seat Back Mix 2.mp3 --  (Download: 5.09 MB)

Sounds good!! The drums sound really nice although perhaps a bit dry? Matter of taste I suppose, I like things dry too but don't forget there is a Chamber track to play with. As far as balances go, try this sometime: (Before Mixing) Using a VU meter plugin on the master fader, set it to -14. Mute all the tracks. Un-mute the first track and place a trim plugin on it if needed. Slowly increase the tracks fader to maximum and use the trim if it gets too loud. Once the fader is at maximum adjust the trim until the VU reads +2VU.
Drop the fader to unity gain. Do this for each track, making sure all other tracks are muted. It takes a while but when you are done you will have an equal voltage mix! Now seek out the star performer(s) in each section of the track and adjust the balance as you go using the faders which are all in the sweet spot now Smile If you are looking for a good starting point and aren't sure, this is the best method I can recommend. The rough mix and a few reference tracks are helpful too.

Eastwood
Nobody cares what plugins you use, it's only what comes out of the speakers that matters.