Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
About This Multitrack
You can find the multitrack files for this project in the 'Mixing Secrets' Free Multitrack Download Library.

Before posting a mix, please read The Three Commandments!
Please post your mix as a new thread, rather than as a reply to this sticky.

Here's some more project info you might find useful:
  • About The Raw Multitracks:
    • The drums are already split to separate tracks in this production, with two kicks, two snares, and four hats.
    • There are seven synth parts (including a single synth bass) as well as three independent guitar parts.
    • The vocal line-up comprises verse and chorus leads (the latter double-tracked) and seven backing lines.
  • Challenges You're Likely To Face:
    • The heaviest lifting involved in this mix is editing and filling out the arrangement to deliver on the promise of rather a 'bare bones' multitrack.
    • Creating a powerful, but tight, low end is tricky given that none of the raw multitracks really deliver this.
    • There's considerable potential for harsh-sounding frequency build-up in the 3-5kHz region, on account of all the distorted guitars and aggressive synths, especially given the prominent vocal sibilance and the need for upfront hi-hats.
    • This kind of music doesn't really work without a good dose of compression-style gain pumping triggered from the drums. There are many approaches to achieving this, but whichever you use needs to be carefully set up so that it pumps the right things by the right amount.
  • Some Mixing Tips:
    • The kick drum is less useful for generating extreme low-end here, because it's moving so quickly it'd just turn everything down there to mush! Therefore, I'd suggest that the bass is probably the best thing to rattle the furniture with.
    • Remember that the listener doesn't know what the original parts sounded like, and has no concrete idea of how electronic sources should sound, which means that in a lot of cases you can absolutely mangle things with your mix processing if necessary.
    • In a mix like this where some arrangement intervention is required, it helps if you first do as well as you can with what's available before adding in any extras. That way you're less likely to lose the original spirit of the raw multitrack when you start adding new things.
    • Don't be afraid to chuck in new sound-effect samples and wacky sci-fi effects-sends to generate interest, but make sure you only add them in when they're necessary otherwise you'll just end up with too much clutter overall. Automation is your friend here...
    • I remixed this song for Sound On Sound's May 2009 'Mix Rescue' column, which not only shows how I approached these raw recordings myself in practice, but also includes a selection of audio files demonstrating the effects of some of my processing decisions, as well as soloing and muting all my sampled atmospheric effects so you can hear them properly and hear the effect they had on the final mix.

If you have any other general questions about this multitrack, just reply to this post and I'll see what I can do.