Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cotton Drifting - Rainy Day II
Love this song, so made an attempt at mixing it.
Tried to keep the lead vox and drums dark and floating a bit behind everything else, to free up some space for the acoustic gits and the backing vocals.
Also tried to make the guitars sound wide and atmospheric.

All the best,
Adam

.mp3    CottonDrifting_RainyDayII_20190423_v1_mix_master.mp3 --  (Download: 12.28 MB)

Hey, glad to see you like the song! I think I really like your mix as well :]. The distortion on the vocals is a cool effect in the beginning, I only used it on the yell part and never thought to do it there. What did you do to the main acoustic guitar? It seemed overwhelming to me at first but it grew on me as the song went on and I listened a second time. I think maybe it could stand to be a little less "muddy", but it is very atmosphere-y. Overall though, I really like your balance of everything. No thing ever seems to overpower any other thing allowing all the parts to take their rightful place and coexist. Thanks for taking the time to put out a mix. All these mixes are presenting such interesting views of the song and making me wish I had done some things differently!
(23-04-2019, 03:10 AM)GinghamJones Wrote: Hey, glad to see you like the song! I think I really like your mix as well :]. The distortion on the vocals is a cool effect in the beginning, I only used it on the yell part and never thought to do it there. What did you do to the main acoustic guitar? It seemed overwhelming to me at first but it grew on me as the song went on and I listened a second time. I think maybe it could stand to be a little less "muddy", but it is very atmosphere-y. Overall though, I really like your balance of everything. No thing ever seems to overpower any other thing allowing all the parts to take their rightful place and coexist. Thanks for taking the time to put out a mix. All these mixes are presenting such interesting views of the song and making me wish I had done some things differently!

Thanks, yeah, actually good point about the acoustic guitar being overwhelming sometimes. :)
After listening to it again today, I realized that it could use more clean-up, especially in the middle part of the song, and different kind of panning. I overcompressed it in the middle part, hence the muddiness I think. It doesn't sound too natural / nor has enough dynamics there either.
I was using three different compressors for each group of acoustic guitars (one for 1, one for 2-2DT, and yet another for 3-3DT, just small amount of compression per channel, and the main AcoustigGtr01 got a saturation plugin as well), then all sent into the acoustic guitar bus, where it first got a more noticeable reverb, then small amount of parallel compression, some EQ, another less noticeable small room reverb, then finally a stereo imager to widen it.
Will mix another version in a day or two though, to correct the acoustic gits. :)