Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rumba Chonta Mix
Please feel free to comment. Thanks for listening!

.mp3    RumbaChonta_03.mp3 --  (Download: 6.23 MB)

Hi GarriGeorge,

I feel like I'm listening to a Persuasive Percussion LP from the early 1960s with your interesting panning moves. In saying that, the mix is sounding a little static though. I think you could work some extra life into the piece with simple fader moves. I would like to hear the guitar feature more strongly also. Close your eyes, listen to the mix and then go to town. You just might knock it out of the park.
It's very natural sounding, nicely balanced. I agree with Dave that I'd like more of the wah guitar, and the congas could use some more ambiance and some peak limiting now and then, still I'm listening on headphones, which should be a no-no for any danceable music!
(27-11-2018, 12:57 PM)Dangerous Wrote: Hi GarriGeorge,

I feel like I'm listening to a Persuasive Percussion LP from the early 1960s with your interesting panning moves. In saying that, the mix is sounding a little static though. I think you could work some extra life into the piece with simple fader moves. I would like to hear the guitar feature more strongly also. Close your eyes, listen to the mix and then go to town. You just might knock it out of the park.

Thanks for the comments! I will definitely revisit the song and try experimenting with that.
(27-11-2018, 07:21 PM)Deliza Wrote: It's very natural sounding, nicely balanced. I agree with Dave that I'd like more of the wah guitar, and the congas could use some more ambiance and some peak limiting now and then, still I'm listening on headphones, which should be a no-no for any danceable music!

Thanks, Deliza. There seem to be a lot of percussive sounds with peaks, for sure. I am looking forward to listening to it again, and making adjustments based on comments from you and Dangerous.
The second mix is in response to comments by Deliza and Dangerous.... Tried to make wah guitar more prominent especially on solo, and did a whole lot of fader rides (maybe too much?). Also some more peak limiting on some things. Let me know what you think.

.mp3    RumbaChonta.01_06.mp3 --  (Download: 6.19 MB)

Definitely better, George! It has more of a 'NARCOS' feel (sorry for perhaps the worst possible Colombian reference, I just like the show), as well as more tension all around. Wonder what if you tried to boost some middles from the bass, but then you'd have to make space for it. The slap part however, is superb, clear but not too loud. Brass sounds great, stereo spread but keeping its combo energy.

Is it mastered?
(06-12-2018, 11:36 AM)Deliza Wrote: Definitely better, George! It has more of a 'NARCOS' feel (sorry for perhaps the worst possible Colombian reference, I just like the show), as well as more tension all around. Wonder what if you tried to boost some middles from the bass, but then you'd have to make space for it. The slap part however, is superb, clear but not too loud. Brass sounds great, stereo spread but keeping its combo energy.

Is it mastered?

Cool... thanks again for updated feedback! It's not mastered - only a tiny bit of bus processing (touch of EQ and compression I believe)
The marimba is front and center where is should be. This is good.

However to me the marimba reverb is very strong, and to my ears it sounds like it doesn't fix with the rest of the mix. I'm wondering if there is reverb on the other percussive instruments as well?

At times the marimba sound a little mid-rangey. Considering possibly applying EQ the reverb too to reduce this.