Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trick Bird: 'Window'
My Mix

I found the vocals to be a challenge , a lot of sibilance, tried to tame them without destroying them. Automation on the lead and BG vocals w/ dynamic EQ trying to pull out some of the sibilance in the high mids and highs, then light deessing .

Comments always welcome

Cheers
KSmile

Ver 2-04.mpg

Rebalanced and panned guitars as Dave had advised.

Ver3-05.mpg little more volume on the guitars
Cheers
K

.mp3    TrickBird_Window-03.mp3 --  (Download: 6.11 MB)

.mp3    TrickBird_Window-04.mp3 --  (Download: 6.11 MB)

.mp3    TrickBird_Window-05.mp3 --  (Download: 6.11 MB)

Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
Great sounding mix K. You've done a super job with the vocals. Well done. I like the overall drum sound and the panned ride parts also. I think the melodic guitar part that comes in post chorus @ around 0:45 could come forward a bit more. At the same time, the subsequent guitar part that comes in after this, introduced in the 2nd verse could come down a little. Just a balance issue for me against the vocal parts. What do you think? Otherwise the mix works for me well. Big Grin Well done!
(29-09-2018, 11:05 AM)Dangerous Wrote: Great sounding mix K. You've done a super job with the vocals. Well done. I like the overall drum sound and the panned ride parts also. I think the melodic guitar part that comes in post chorus @ around 0:45 could come forward a bit more. At the same time, the subsequent guitar part that comes in after this, introduced in the 2nd verse could come down a little. Just a balance issue for me against the vocal parts. What do you think? Otherwise the mix works for me well. Big Grin Well done!

Thanks Dave, with clean ears I can hear what your saying. its a bit out of balance with the guitars.

I rebalanced the guitars, actually soft panned most of them and brought down the level to get them out of the way of the vocal.
Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it

Cheers
KSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
I'm liking both Ver2 and Ver3 Kirk. Well done mateBig Grin
(30-09-2018, 11:37 AM)Dangerous Wrote: I'm liking both Ver2 and Ver3 Kirk. Well done mateBig Grin

Thanks Dave, I appreciate it!!

Cheers
KSmile
This just sounds great, so sweet but still with quite some grit.

Kick-snare-hat combo gels beautifully, just like I usually imagine drums before recording takes me back to reality. Ride parts make a very fit contrast and elevate the tune as they should.
Vocals are great, ear-close whisper like but still full and commanding.

Only thing is, it seems as if bass was not 0% center, it think it's because one of the rhythm guitars is playing kinda the same notes all through most of the song. I love asymmetric things, but here it feels like lowend is falling over the left side, and there's just not enough things playing steady on the right to compensate. But it's a lovely mix anyways.
(18-02-2019, 08:37 PM)Deliza Wrote: This just sounds great, so sweet but still with quite some grit.

Kick-snare-hat combo gels beautifully, just like I usually imagine drums before recording takes me back to reality. Ride parts make a very fit contrast and elevate the tune as they should.
Vocals are great, ear-close whisper like but still full and commanding.

Only thing is, it seems as if bass was not 0% center, it think it's because one of the rhythm guitars is playing kinda the same notes all through most of the song. I love asymmetric things, but here it feels like lowend is falling over the left side, and there's just not enough things playing steady on the right to compensate. But it's a lovely mix anyways.
Hi Deliza

Thank you for the kind words

You have great ears, when I printed it I never noticed the bass being slightly Left, so I opened the project again and low and behold the pan was at 10 L .. OOOOPSBlush .. lol

Cheers
KTongue