Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Swing Bazar: 'Fleche D'Or'
My Mix

Comments Welcome

Cheers
KSmile

.mp3    SwingBazar_FlecheDOr-01.mp3 --  (Download: 8.22 MB)

Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
Very nice K! A more natural and probably realistic assembly than my version. I like the flow and sonic feel you have got going on. The only thing for me that I can really pick on is with the tonal balances between the the instruments and I guess this is mainly to do with the guitars. for eg, at the start when the strumming starts, this is quite bright and attacking compared to the lead guitar part that is much softer and rolled off. I reckon if you can balance up these elements some what, it will work wonders. The attack of the strumming part is tough to deal with in that it plays an important percussive role with the flow of the song. You've done a great job with this one K.

Dave
(12-09-2018, 01:11 PM)Dangerous Wrote: Very nice K! A more natural and probably realistic assembly than my version. I like the flow and sonic feel you have got going on. The only thing for me that I can really pick on is with the tonal balances between the the instruments and I guess this is mainly to do with the guitars. for eg, at the start when the strumming starts, this is quite bright and attacking compared to the lead guitar part that is much softer and rolled off. I reckon if you can balance up these elements some what, it will work wonders. The attack of the strumming part is tough to deal with in that it plays an important percussive role with the flow of the song. You've done a great job with this one K.

Dave

Thanks Dave great points, I went back and listened to yours again and I can hear how nice you got the tonal balance which mine is lacking. Awsome, Ill clean it up in the next version
Cheers
K
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
Took Dave's advice, I tried to separate the guitars to get a more cohesive sound. I used Sonarworks reference 4 on the first mix and used my Events and blocked the ports on this version. Staring to question if its time to retire the Events or my ears..lol ! Anyways, I re Eq'ed just about everything, sounds beefier and a bit more balanced to me .. let me know what you think
Cheers
KSmile

.mp3    SwingBazar_FlecheDOr-03.mp3 --  (Download: 8.22 MB)

(12-09-2018, 07:37 PM)KMuzic Wrote: Took Dave's advice, I tried to separate the guitars to get a more cohesive sound. I used Sonarworks reference 4 on the first mix and used my Events and blocked the ports on this version. Staring to question if its time to retire the Events or my ears..lol ! Anyways, I re Eq'ed just about everything, sounds beefier and a bit more balanced to me .. let me know what you think
Cheers
KSmile

My humble advice to you its to listen to a lot of music in your system. Dont change anything in the path, do it the same way you listen to your mixes and learn your room and monitors. If it is not working at all, consider non ported speakers and openback headphones and go to the store with a reference USB or CD with non compressed music that you know well. I always take the first Rage Against the Machine album with me in WAV in my phone case I need it. I hope it helps.
(12-09-2018, 08:51 PM)javierpg84 Wrote:
(12-09-2018, 07:37 PM)KMuzic Wrote: Took Dave's advice, I tried to separate the guitars to get a more cohesive sound. I used Sonarworks reference 4 on the first mix and used my Events and blocked the ports on this version. Staring to question if its time to retire the Events or my ears..lol ! Anyways, I re Eq'ed just about everything, sounds beefier and a bit more balanced to me .. let me know what you think
Cheers
KSmile

My humble advice to you its to listen to a lot of music in your system. Dont change anything in the path, do it the same way you listen to your mixes and learn your room and monitors. If it is not working at all, consider non ported speakers and openback headphones and go to the store with a reference USB or CD with non compressed music that you know well. I always take the first Rage Against the Machine album with me in WAV in my phone case I need it. I hope it helps.

Thanks Javier
Great advice, Everything sounds boxy and harsh on the Events, they are old and have been beat up pretty good over the years. I think a decent non ported monitor would be the way to go. My mix's have been hit or miss and Id like to get more consistent. In time I guess
Thanks again for the advice
KSmile
Real sweet K. I like this version a lot. Lovely control and very musical.Big Grin

I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater as far as your current monitoring goes as your mixes, for the most part translate well. I can highly recommend sealed monitors but keeping the events for checking translation could be benifical if you have the room. Good for resetting your ears also. I run 2x sets of closed monitors for this reason plus my grot box and they complement each other very well, not to mention referencing around the house. I have a pair of Yamaha NS-A526 closed speakers that I use as my 2nd pair monitors and they are incredibly revealing and make bad mixes sound really bad and great mixes sound just good, so you know how you are travelling. I'm not sure what part of the world you're in, but you can pick these things up at flee markets for next to nothing. The only thing is they are passive so they will need to be amplified. But as I said, they are great for a second perspective. A poor mans NS10s perhaps.

Cheers mate.
(13-09-2018, 11:59 AM)Dangerous Wrote: Real sweet K. I like this version a lot. Lovely control and very musical.Big Grin

I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater as far as your current monitoring goes as your mixes, for the most part translate well. I can highly recommend sealed monitors but keeping the events for checking translation could be benifical if you have the room. Good for resetting your ears also. I run 2x sets of closed monitors for this reason plus my grot box and they complement each other very well, not to mention referencing around the house. I have a pair of Yamaha NS-A526 closed speakers that I use as my 2nd pair monitors and they are incredibly revealing and make bad mixes sound really bad and great mixes sound just good, so you know how you are travelling. I'm not sure what part of the world you're in, but you can pick these things up at flee markets for next to nothing. The only thing is they are passive so they will need to be amplified. But as I said, they are great for a second perspective. A poor mans NS10s perhaps.

Cheers mate.

Hey Dave
Thanks, Yeah, I don't think I could get rid of these beasts, I saw the Yamaha NS-A526 on Ebay for $20 to 40 US. might be a good option to set up to A/B on the fly. I have power so that's not a problem. I do use My TV and small multimedia speakers to check the mix after its complete, but because of my driver setup I cant A/B on the fly while Im mixing. Sounds like a good inexpensive option. Definitely something to consider.
Cheers
KSmile
Hey KirK! After listening to Dave's Mix (not that I'm comparing, that's rude), I'd say that, while his mix is crazy filmic and soundtrackish, yours (03, clearly that's the one) has more of a LP feel (classical-label-specialized-on-weird-european-music feel), even though it's more a widescreen mix, if that makes sense. That was a comparison actually, but it don't matter 'cos I'm never rude!

Bass sound (and low end in general) is what makes it here. It's warm, fat and has tons of character. Then everything else comes upon perfectly balanced, making me headbang as I write this!

Not so sure about that much echo on the electric guitar, though. And reverb tail response to the guitar strumming on the left side is a little too present. The effect is superb when the arrangement gets really thick, a little less when it's more sparse and not so much on the stops. I might use a little cropping the tails, or some little EQ on it to make it lighter. Not that it could take anyone from enjoying the music, as it is.

Again, fantastic job!

(13-09-2018, 06:51 PM)Deliza Wrote: Hey KirK! After listening to Dave's Mix (not that I'm comparing, that's rude), I'd say that, while his mix is crazy filmic and soundtrackish, yours (03, clearly that's the one) has more of a LP feel (classical-label-specialized-on-weird-european-music feel), even though it's more a widescreen mix, if that makes sense. That was a comparison actually, but it don't matter 'cos I'm never rude!

Bass sound (and low end in general) is what makes it here. It's warm, fat and has tons of character. Then everything else comes upon perfectly balanced, making me headbang as I write this!

Not so sure about that much echo on the electric guitar, though. And reverb tail response to the guitar strumming on the left side is a little too present. The effect is superb when the arrangement gets really thick, a little less when it's more sparse and not so much on the stops. I might use a little cropping the tails, or some little EQ on it to make it lighter. Not that it could take anyone from enjoying the music, as it is.

Again, fantastic job!

Hi Deliza
Thank you so much for your comments, they are always appreciated.
yes good point, when the arrangement gets thick is when I adjust the verb to fit what I like, but then I forget about the stops, I need to pay better attention to that, thanks for bringing that up. a great help!

Cheers
KSmile