Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
#12 Hold On You - 'Strangeways' Mix by Deliza
A pleasure to have the chance to play with such a gentlemanly voice; reminds me a little of old Gene records and some early Mozz as well, so I filled the room with flowers and tried my best Stephen Street impersonation.

Of course, everybody wants everything to be punchy and loud all the time and I’m no better, so the challenge here was to find a balance between “radio sound” and a more laid back ambience better suited for this happy sad kind of tune. I cannot do none of that on its own, so go figure… Main guitar probably too wet and hall tail being too long are quite bugging me.

But really, I’d love to know how this translates out of my cans, so feedback will be received with tears of joy and petardos!

.mp3    12 - James May - Hold On You (Deliza).mp3 --  (Download: 7.81 MB)

Hi Deliza
Very solid mix, balance is really nice. You handled the snare nicely, sounds level and snappy. Bass and drum cohesiveness is solid. Very easy listen.
Played it on my monitors and sounded solid till the slide came in, your right, the hall reverb was getting in the way, no biggie, another reverb choice and you've got a sterling piece of work.
Great Job!!

Cheers
KSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
Mmm, I thought main guitar would be the biggest offender, but can easily imagine that slide not jelling well out of my little can world.
Next week, I'll be trying this and a lot of other mixes (mine and other people's) in a lecture hall with a not too good PA, just to see what happens.

Thanks for the help, K!