Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
James May: 'Eliza Jane'
My Take on this beautiful song,

All the musicians did a wonderful job, But I have a soft spot for pedal steel, as that's one of my side instruments.. well done!

I tried to give it a softer laid back Simon and Garfunkel feel

Comments are always welcome!!

Cheers!

KSmile

.mp3    Eliza Jane2.mp3 --  (Download: 11.89 MB)

Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
Hey K,

great mix! Just 4 quick things I noticed:

- Drums are a little to "crispy", a softer high-end and smother transients would fit the song better in my opinion. Also the toms don't really come through (4:09), a bit more volume and bottom end would be good I think
- The Vocals seem unbalanced because one is panned middle and one right. A 25L and 25R approach or something might work better.
Another idea would be to have the lead vocal sit in the middle when it's alone and automate the panning when the second voice comes in.
- Bringing the vocals down in volume (maybe 3-6db) would allow the beautiful instrumental to breath and shine more in my opinion. Espcially on lower volumes you notice that the vocals are quite loud.
- Maybe clean up the ending Wink A bit of noise and a unecesarry bass slide

Again, this is an outstanding mix. You really managed to reinforce the songs theme and message with your mix, I am impressed Big Grin

Cheers,
LukasAngel

(04-02-2018, 09:50 AM)LukasL Wrote: Hey K,

great mix! Just 4 quick things I noticed:

- Drums are a little to "crispy", a softer high-end and smother transients would fit the song better in my opinion. Also the toms don't really come through (4:09), a bit more volume and bottom end would be good I think
- The Vocals seem unbalanced because one is panned middle and one right. A 25L and 25R approach or something might work better.
Another idea would be to have the lead vocal sit in the middle when it's alone and automate the panning when the second voice comes in.
- Bringing the vocals down in volume (maybe 3-6db) would allow the beautiful instrumental to breath and shine more in my opinion. Espcially on lower volumes you notice that the vocals are quite loud.
- Maybe clean up the ending Wink A bit of noise and a unecesarry bass slide

Again, this is an outstanding mix. You really managed to reinforce the songs theme and message with your mix, I am impressed Big Grin

Cheers,
LukasAngel

Hey Lukas

Thanks for the great feedback, I like the panning idea on the vocals, definitely going to try that. I didn't automate the volume on the vocals, tried to find a middle ground, next versions more automation.
I did have trouble getting the drums to sound the way I wanted, Ill have to do more EQ tuning on the snare and toms. That's funny about the ending.. that was just plain laziness on my part..lol

Thanks Lukas I really appreciate your feedback!

Cheers!!

KSmile

Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
Hey All
I took Lucas's advise and cut the highs on the snare.
Backed the vocals down and automated the Lead vocal pan,,center when solo and panned L when harmony.
Took about 3db off the top on main buss eq and boosted 3 at 125.
Tuned the toms to Eb and chopped them up.. added some Plate to fill a bit,,tried to level them the best I could.
fixed the ending.

Comments welcome!

Cheers

KSmile

Let it sit for a bit, listened with clean ears and it sounded flat to me, so I added the 3db back on the top and re-leveled the toms (which are driving me nuts) took some boxiness out of the snare, hope this worked better. Let me know which one works best,

Cheers

KConfused

.mp3    Eliza Jane4.mp3 --  (Download: 11.56 MB)

.mp3    Eliza Jane5.mp3 --  (Download: 11.56 MB)

Hey K,

when I hit play I just had to smile... Love it!

I like the snare tone (removing boxiness helped) and the toms on number 5 better.
With the high-end I would go for something in the middle. Without it sounds a bit flat, with 3db boost the hats are a bit too harsh. I imagine a 1.5db boost is the sweet spot.

This should be the official version... I listend to the release version and I like yours better.

Just noticed some mud on the vocal which seems to appear out of nowhere at 1:02.

I hope I am not annoying you with all those little details Confused

Anyway, great stuff!

Cheers,
LukasAngel

P.S.: Can I get a critique on my mix of "Dark Horses"?Blush (cause I am not quite happy with itSad)