Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My turn :)
Any advice? I feel like I'm getting better and better which is a good thing because I plan to study audio after High School. Smile

.mp3    DuneRider.mp3 --  (Download: 6.27 MB)

Ugghh, realized there was a same thread with the same title. Whatever.

This is a better mix cause I stayed up a couple hours mixing and I just went over it again right after I posted it with fresh ears.

.mp3    Dune Rider 2nd mix.mp3 --  (Download: 6.27 MB)

Well, first of all - nice try mate.
I must say, you have a lot more to learn, and i am pretty sure you are not yet acquired any professional equipment, am I right?

Anyways, it's really hard to pin point what is wrong with your mix since it sounds bad as it is. So the best way is practice with a different approach.

I hear you used way too much EQ and wayyyyyy to much compression even on the master bus or mix bus (if you use it).
Can you elaborate on your approach, what did you use? why did you use it that way?

P.S.
I am not trying to attack you or anything, I really want to give you a good advice and guide you towards the right path so you won't waste your time and energy.
I do have equipment and I did use a bus. I guess you're right though. Putting compressions and EQ is a bad habbit I have and I used it on every track.
So if you used proper equipment and a master bus for the entire mix, you can easily fix that.
Try to change your compression ratio, make sure you first compress things slowly (like 1-3db - depending on the track and it's purpose in the song).'
Then maybe use the EQ, first and foremost, for sculpting the sound and getting rid of unnecessary freq, fundamental/problematic freq etc.

I'm pretty sure you'll have to fix the entire mix this way (perhaps the balance as well, depending on how severe the changes are)

Hope that helps! Let me know if you need anything.
The first mix was eq'd out of existence but the second one is really good ,clear and powerful , I Like it!
Mark