Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who I am
Really nice mix.well done
Im a bit scared of touchin it, I kinda like the way it is now and I learned a lot from mixin it, and apart from that I had fun.
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Im very pleased you like the sound so much you use it for reference ! I guess there will always be little things in evry mix that could be done diffrently, I kind a go with what I feel like and dont stop to bother much if its modern or loud, just trust my ears and have some fun :-)
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
I tried the cymbal must be louder road and gave the overheads a little more beef.

.mp3    Who I am 3a lim.mp3 --  (Download: 4.25 MB)

Subtle change and I like it. It makes the forward movement more smooth.
Appreciated - excellent !
(10-07-2013, 10:18 PM)Voelund Wrote: Ive never mixed country music before - but man it was fun, I added a little touch of echo to the lead vox and fiddle, lot o automation to make it more lively and focus on some small instrumental highligts. It so happens that I discovered the Stillwell plugs as I mixed this and their transient tool is great as are hte buss compressor.
I am quite happy with the result and it was a lot o fun.
Great song !

One of my favorite songs on the entire Mixing Secrets Multitrack library was your "Comfort Lives in Belief," both thematically and in terms of quality. When I saw that you'd taken a stab at "Who I Am" (another favorite) I couldn't wait to hear the results.

I was NOT disappointed. This is my favorite mix of "Who I Am" so far in this thread, and I suspect it'll remain my favorite even after I've heard all the rest of the mixes here. Smile

My ONLY complaints are that the string instruments in the very beginning, before the vocals start, are a little too in-your-face for my taste, and the lead vocal could come down a dB or two (closer in level to the backing vocal, which I think is fine where it is). Otherwise, this is AWESOME, dude! Big Grin

Our mixing styles seem very similar. To that end, I thought you might enjoy my mix of your "Comfort Lives in Belief;" you'll find it attached to this post. Wink

I'm probably asking for trouble looking for your opinion as people do tend to be more critical of things other people do to THEIR creative work. Blush Still, I'm looking for constructive criticism here so if there ARE things you don't like feel free to be honest; I'm cool with that. Cool

.m4a    10 Comfort Lives in Belief.m4a --  (Download: 7.96 MB)

John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince
(31-07-2013, 01:16 PM)Voelund Wrote: I tried the cymbal must be louder road and gave the overheads a little more beef.

IMHO, the quality of this mix is pretty much the same as your previous attempt, though I do admit the additional crash of the cymbals does sound pretty nice. Smile

My original criticisms still stand, particularly that lead vocal; I feel it needs to come down 2-3 dB. Other than that, though, I can't think of a single thing I'd change here! Love it! Big Grin
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince
Hi there.
I appreciate your time and detailed feedback, and i noticed you had quite a few other posts last night of same length and detail. That alone is worth a thumbs up Big Grin
You even say nice things about my music so I have to say a humble thank you !
For the vocal level I would have mixed it difrent today. Vocal level is hard. I have a friend who mixes it very very loud, the last months I have come into the habit of listening in mono makin the vocal sit as good in the mix as I can, my last mix (my first attempt in heavy genre, whisper to a scream Johnny Lokke) I didnt listen in mono and vocal are too loud ...
I couldnt listen your version of Comfort, my phone wouldnt play it, but Im gonna hear it later in my studio.

Thank you sir, lets keep in touch and welcome to the site and keep up the feedback. This site is all about feedback.

Mucho appreciated.
@ Pedaling Prince. I might also comment your mix of "Comfort lives in Belief", but please start first own thread for it in the right category. As many people comment shortly "great mix!", it's impossible to know to what mix they are commenting, if in the same thread there are many songs by many mixers.