Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
James May: 'Eliza Jane' kapu mix
Tried to be fast and efficient. Nothing special done. ^_^

.m4a    james_may-__eliza_jane__kapu_mix.m4a --  (Download: 13.24 MB)

.m4a    james_may-__eliza_jane__kapu_new_mix.m4a --  (Download: 12.54 MB)

Lovely sounding mix ,i like the width and space , there is a slight resonance on the snare and vocals popping out around 167hz area but that's an easy fix.

Well Done

Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(04-04-2017, 08:01 AM)thedon Wrote: Lovely sounding mix ...

Thanks. Tried to fix the excessive vocal lows. Toms also sound horrible etc, but I'm not going to do anything about it for now. ^_^
(04-04-2017, 09:41 PM)kapu Wrote:
(04-04-2017, 08:01 AM)thedon Wrote: Lovely sounding mix ...

Thanks. Tried to fix the excessive vocal lows. Toms also sound horrible etc, but I'm not going to do anything about it for now. ^_^

Sounds a lot better now Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Typically your mixes are superb, but this time there's some sort of harshness that causes easily fatique. Probably caused by vox and snare. Vox could have more softness and body.

Balances otherwise feels perfect to me.
(08-04-2017, 05:36 AM)Olli H Wrote: Typically your mixes (. . .)

Thanks! Funny, I actually was particularly happy with this one, as I thought I got especially the highs right in general - presence and air but not too harsh, for me anyways. Initially I uploaded a more softer or 'warmer' version but, as @thedon also pointed out, it was perhaps muddy instead of being warm. But I also hold your ears and sense of sound aesthetics in great value, so I'll have to think about this and do some further referencing.
I typically change my opinions on an hourly basis.

My main reference was John Mayer’s ”Half of My Heart” (mix by Micheael Brauer). So maybe I was over sensitive to brightness as I had been listen for two hours for extra/too soft sound.

With new listen the snare is fine.

But with vox there’s plenty of those short hi-frequency bursts. For example around 0:50 ”I’M FFFFee”. Sounds like an effect caused/enhanced by parallel compression. Maybe the vocal track was preprocessed as they were quite bad already there.
Overall Very nice. I am hearing some of the harshness and edginess also on my larger monitors, but the mix does translate very well onto my smaller monitor. Could be a saturation thing perhaps, not sure. Drums are sounding a little crushed at times though. A taste thing... as alwaysSmile

Dave
Thanks @Olli H and @Dangerous. Tried to make to vocals a bit smoother. I experimented with Klanghelm IVGI on drums, so they are somewhat crushed. Initially I thought it sounded kind of cool, but that might have been a bad call. I'd probably have to redo the drum sounds completely, but I'm too lazy for that. ^_^
Love the sound and space created with the acoustic guitars ....plus the mandolins whilst being present are lovely and soft. The pedal steel, bass and kick also seem well balanced. The snare whilst being tonally very nice seems a little low in level but it does cut through nicely.

The only thing that doesn't seem to fit is the vocal....its hard to be sure why ... maybe a little bit of low mid frequency masking. It feels like it needs to be softer, more intimate and maybe a bit more open.

cheers, Simon
Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

https://soundcloud.com/hbguitar