Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lindy Hip Big Band_Makin Whoopee_mix Tommy Marcinek
Angel

Yes! I love big band Jazz. This was a blast to work on. I hope I did it justice. I like a nice BIG sound when I listen to a big band Jazz arrangement. Love the lead vocalist.....horns section great....everyone just great!

Comments are always welcomed. Hope you enjoy my mix.

Tommy

.mp3    Makin Whoopee.mp3 --  (Download: 8.85 MB)

tommymarcinek.com - Tommy Marcinek
It sounds good. I have two thoughts.
It's a little flabby in the lower mids/lows. I think it's probably all in the Bass but maybe there's some other instruments contributing to it.
Overall it feels two dimensional. Every part feels like it's right there. It'd be nice if there was more depth to it. Instrumentally everything sounds great but I kinda want more of a picture of the band. If that makes sense.
(01-03-2017, 05:05 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: It sounds good. I have two thoughts.
It's a little flabby in the lower mids/lows. I think it's probably all in the Bass but maybe there's some other instruments contributing to it.
Overall it feels two dimensional. Every part feels like it's right there. It'd be nice if there was more depth to it. Instrumentally everything sounds great but I kinda want more of a picture of the band. If that makes sense.

------------------
Roy,

Thanks for your comment.....appreciate it. Yeah, I wanted to keep it kind of dry. I really don't like a very distant sound or too much depth in any modern mix.....it's just my thing right now (but that could change overnight as I used to mix with too much reverb or delay, etc......lol). I did not use any delay but only one reverb as a send to most tracks for consistency. But, the main problem I found with the tracks was that the drums only had 3 tracks and they were all mono (even the drums overhead). So, I wanted to keep the drums basically centered (that's probably what's bothering you because the horns and piano and bass are spread out pretty nicely). I did put a slight stereoizing plugin on the overhead track but kept it very light so as to not risk causing phase issues, artifacts, or obvious unnatural sound. It's got depth but it sort of matches the basic dry feel I was going for. I know big band music SHOULD sound a bit more spread out and roomy, per se. But, this sound was indeed what I was going for.

Talk soooooooooooon,

Tom

tommymarcinek.com - Tommy Marcinek
I totally respect that.
Feel free to check out my mix for a different perspective. My mix isn't very good but it's what I heard and where I was coming from. Not that it's right or better but just where my ears were at.

Cheers.