Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
James May: 'Hold On You'
Hello People,
What a great song and a beautiful vocal performance, complete with all the elements that I like to work with. Aah, that slide guitar.

I decided to have another go at a headphone mix on the couch. Something that I don't normally like to do but a process I would like to get more confident at. I had a couple of thing in my favour though, I know my headphones like the back of my hand and I had some good reference material. That been said the bass frequencies may still be a little off.

I've loosely used Tom Petty for reference with tracks from "Wildflowers" and "She The One" albums. I found some similarities with the vocals and music styles.
I've avoided the fade out, I enjoyed the guitar playing in the outro all the way to the end. I hope I've done this song justice.

Thanks for listening

Dave

.mp3    JamesMay_HoldOnYou_Dangerous#3.mp3 --  (Download: 7.87 MB)

So, Dave, slide guitar is so beautiful that you could put it in the center))))
Solid work! Sometimes vox really looks like Tom)
For my taste a little bit lacking low mids for densityHuh
(03-07-2016, 02:42 PM)Konek Wrote: So, Dave, slide guitar is so beautiful that you could put it in the center))))
Solid work! Sometimes vox really looks like Tom)
For my taste a little bit lacking low mids for densityHuh

Hey Konek, thanks for dropping by.

Yes, if it wasn't for the wonderful vocal the slide guitar would have been centre stage. James does sound like Tom throughout some of the passages of the song. A beautiful vocal tone to work with.
I've had a chance today to listen to the mix though some speakers and agree with your thoughts. Although sounding nice on headphones, it seemed to sound vast and a little empty through speakers. I have uploaded #2 with some extra intensity that I'm now happy with.

Thanks for your valued comments
Dave