Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
That's Entertainment Dangerous Style
WOW! this is gold, Thanks to Mike, Mange and Ojebokoren The variety that we presented with is truly amazing.

First I wasn't sure how to process this one so I started with the M/S main pair and then followed my ears from there. Once I got a room sound I liked with some reverb sends I then brought up the closer mics for some detail. Whether this is the right way to proceed I'm not sure, but I think I'm happy enough with how it's sounds. The piano I feel I've struggled with as usual trying to make the DI sound like a live performance within the same space. I am learning though. Thanks People.

Dave.

.mp3    Ojebokoren Thats Entertainment Dangerous Stylel.mp3 --  (Download: 5.65 MB)

Sounds great to my ears. If anything, the piano is a bit distant. I do like that the choir is the clear lead part but I would try to move the piano slightly closer.

Your approach was very similar to mine.
This was my first stab at recording with mid/side and I remember when I had set the rough levels of the mid and the spaced pair mics and slowly raised the side mic. A true wow moment. For whatever reason Mike encoded the mid/side pair to a regular stereo track. So for you to try that out you have to decode the m/s stereotrack to seperate mid and side tracks and set it up properly in your daw.

During recording I also had xy and ortf mic setups experiment going. I had them at the same point as the mid/side pair but it was too close to be usable. It was a fun experiment though. The technique I usually use, xy, was the least impressive of them.
Thanks Mange,

I think the only thing that would have been more enjoyable than mixing this would have been recording it. Well Done.
I definitely preferred the sound from the M/S main over the spaced pair (specially when reduced down to mono) and I guess I've always had a fascination with this style of stereo recording. I think the encoding/decoding of the mid side pair can be confusing which might be why Mike converted it for us. As for the piano I not sure how I'm going to bring it forward a bit more. I did make a 3dB cut at around 4.5k so I might reduce this to restore some presence. See how I go.

Thanks for your help,
Dave.
(04-02-2016, 06:51 PM)mange Wrote: For whatever reason Mike encoded the mid/side pair to a regular stereo track. So for you to try that out you have to decode the m/s stereotrack to seperate mid and side tracks and set it up properly in your daw.

I decoded them so because I find it avoids a lot of confusion for newbies. Anyone wanting to readjust the MS balance can do so easily with Voxengo's freeware MSED (or else by just setting up a mono send, without any effects, and mixing that in with or without inverted polarity).

(05-02-2016, 08:18 AM)Mike Senior Wrote:
(04-02-2016, 06:51 PM)mange Wrote: For whatever reason Mike encoded the mid/side pair to a regular stereo track. So for you to try that out you have to decode the m/s stereotrack to seperate mid and side tracks and set it up properly in your daw.

I decoded them so because I find it avoids a lot of confusion for newbies. Anyone wanting to readjust the MS balance can do so easily with Voxengo's freeware MSED (or else by just setting up a mono send, without any effects, and mixing that in with or without inverted polarity).

That´s totally ok. and I second in on that voxengo MSED plug. it´s very good and easy to use.