Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Get Fooled
After a long layoff, what a great song to stumble on upon. It never ceases to amaze me that Mike (...and a big Thanks to you, Mike) gets this great supply of stuff for poor saps like me to indulge childhood mixing fantasies on. I found this a difficult mix to work on.....there's a mention in another thread that Woodfire songs need more dynamics. I haven't had a go at any of their others yet, but I did find the dynamics on the guitars (and the bass in parts!) hard......and I sort of struggled a bit. I wanted to get some sort of separation with the guitars but ended going with a kind of washed-into-a-mush-because-I-don't-know-what-I-am-doing type of sound. As usual I think I lost the drums in the mix a bit too......I just can't quite seem to master drums....not that I have mastered anything else much! But drums seem to cause me special pain.

Anyway, all comments and suggestions are most welcome.

.mp3    get fooled.mp3 --  (Download: 10.89 MB)

It's a fine mix. This is a really eclectic sounding band and I think there's a lot of room for interpretations of sounds. It is a bit washy but not in a bad way. The drums work. I can hear the kick and snare just fine. Again the cymbals are washy but that's partially how they're played.

Overall it works well. It's pleasant to listen to, especially for a song that has so much cymbal work going on. The frequency balance is good. At least listening on earbuds.

Good Job.
It doesn't have to sound good. People just need to think it sounds good.
Thanks Roy!