Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good Time - Koskid Mix
Your comments will be highly appreciated!!!

.mp3    Good Time.mp3 --  (Download: 10.97 MB)

This is excellent. The environment sounds great, the instruments are nicely enumerated and the voice sounds right on. The only thing I can't abide is that damn rain stick! I removed it completely from my mix. A personal aversion, I'm sure. Nicely done.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Thank you very much for your comments!!!

(03-03-2016, 02:49 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: This is excellent. The environment sounds great, the instruments are nicely enumerated and the voice sounds right on. The only thing I can abide is that damn rain stick! I removed it completely from my mix. A personal aversion, I'm sure. Nicely done.

Rock on! A very open yet powerful sounding mix. I'm not sure about the rain stick either. It sounds a bit strange to me within the context on the song. Purely subjective.
Anyhow the mix is sounding amazing with headphones!
Dave.
A great mix - really nice balance of instruments - the sounds are full and fat. Nice low end - plenty of welly in the bass, but nicely controlled.

One thing that would take the mix to the next level would be some automation of fx to build excitement in the choruses and the solos. There is a lot of sonic space in the song, so in a situation like this, creating more contrast between the verse & chorus sections can sometimes be accomplished by using fx. For example, sometimes subtle (and not-so-subtle) delays can be used to intensify the impression that a moment is getting bigger, louder, wider, wilder... Automating fx can also bring a sense of movement, progression & development to what might otherwise be essentially static, repeated parts (like verses).

Also, just bringing the rhythm guitar forward during the instrumental break @ 3:37 might help - it just feels like the excitement dips there for me from that point on.

Nice work!
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
Quote:One thing that would take the mix to the next level would be some automation of fx to build excitement in the choruses and the solos. There is a lot of sonic space in the song, so in a situation like this, creating more contrast between the verse & chorus sections can sometimes be accomplished by using fx. For example, sometimes subtle (and not-so-subtle) delays can be used to intensify the impression that a moment is getting bigger, louder, wider, wilder... Automating fx can also bring a sense of movement, progression & development to what might otherwise be essentially static, repeated parts (like verses).

I like this advice. It opens the door to creativity in a mix and relating it to the energy or content of a song. Finding the right thing to add (or remove) in this endeavor is the real trick but the idea is very well stated.

For me it was adding delay to the guitar solo and removing that damn rain stick (LOL).
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]