Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Awesome Song - mixed and mastered
Hey,

i had a lot of fun with mixing that song. Great Music, awesome voice! But nevertheless, i had a lot of trouble to get these chorus vocals fits into the song.

Here is my mastered version.

If you want to share your thoughts, donĀ“t hesitate!

.mp3    Atrophy_master.mp3 --  (Download: 10.24 MB)

Very nice mix! Excellent job with the vocals. You have really got it sounding 'huge' which is obviously the point of the song.
I think your bass is sitting weirdly during the verse. It works better during the chorus, but something about it kinda bugs me during the verse. May too much low mid information in the overall mix? I like the energy you're going for, but I think there's a build up from the low tom. To my ear, it's also overly bright with the cymbals. During the bridge, the bass definitely sounds too over driven, for my taste. As LAN said previously, excellent job on the vocals. Also, I really liked your guitars.

Cheers

Draper
Hey,

thanks for your comments. The purpose to push the Toms in the lower mid range was, to bring power into the song (too clean (low mid less)reduces the power a lot). I think the song is characterized by a dirty heavy sound and that's the way i tried to get those dirt. But it's an matter of taste and you are right Draper, for some people the bass guitar could be a bit too pressing through the song. Another aspect why i pushed the low mids was to embed to vocals. If i took out these frequencies, they doesn't fit quite well. As electriclady says, the aim was to make it sound huge, creating a huge room/space espacially at the drums, sothat for an realistic feeling you have to boost the low mids.

But as is said, thats only my taste and i really appreciated your feedback from both.

So thx. :-)