Poll: if you dont feel like typing, even this helps :)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
good
0%
0 0%
moderate
0%
0 0%
needs improvement
0%
0 0%
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2nd full mix down ever. Please Listen :)
Please give any and all feedback. It is very much appreciated. thanks!

ps. yes i know it goes on longer. i thought the parameters were set. there's nothing secret at the end.

.mp3    i am perfectly okay.mp3 --  (Download: 9.77 MB)

Hi and welcome,

I think you've got some phase-problems at least on the acoustic guitar. You can hear it clearly at the very beginning.
Furthermore I can't really hear the backing vox.
There are also still some irritating resonances left as far as I can hear on the acoustic.

In the end I think there guitar solo isn't well balanced with the vox it somehow dominates this part. Probably make the solo quieter by automation or use a ducking compressor side-chained from the vox (that's what I did).

Probably, try to aim for a better balance generally, in all 3 dimensions Frequency, Panorama and detpth. What I also think is that your mix sounds quite dry and therefore you've got several problems to seperate the different elements from each other.

But the most important advise: Keep at it and try to improve over and over again. It's all about practicing. Smile

Best regards,
Markus
(09-12-2014, 09:17 PM)orthogonalrecords Wrote: Hi and welcome,

I think you've got some phase-problems at least on the acoustic guitar. You can hear it clearly at the very beginning.
Furthermore I can't really hear the backing vox.
There are also still some irritating resonances left as far as I can hear on the acoustic.

In the end I think there guitar solo isn't well balanced with the vox it somehow dominates this part. Probably make the solo quieter by automation or use a ducking compressor side-chained from the vox (that's what I did).

Probably, try to aim for a better balance generally, in all 3 dimensions Frequency, Panorama and detpth. What I also think is that your mix sounds quite dry and therefore you've got several problems to seperate the different elements from each other.

But the most important advise: Keep at it and try to improve over and over again. It's all about practicing. Smile

Best regards,
Markus

thanks for the tips man Smile How would you suggest i make it sound less dry? add reverbs and the such or?
You're welcome.
Yes, I would definitely add some reverbs to give the mix depth. Probably use something with a high amount of EarlyReflections (ER) to not clutter the mix with reverb tails.
You could also imagine the band on a virtual stage and try to position the instruments as you see them on this stage.

For the ER a higher PreDelay moves the signal further away from the listener. For the tail the opposite is true: A higher PreDelay moves the signal closer, as the tail get's seperated from the direct signal. You could also experiment with setting the PreDelay (and also decay time) in sync with the song-tempo to make the reverb less obvious.

If you've got some further questions don't hesitate to ask.
(10-12-2014, 08:42 AM)orthogonalrecords Wrote: You're welcome.
Yes, I would definitely add some reverbs to give the mix depth. Probably use something with a high amount of EarlyReflections (ER) to not clutter the mix with reverb tails.
You could also imagine the band on a virtual stage and try to position the instruments as you see them on this stage.

For the ER a higher PreDelay moves the signal further away from the listener. For the tail the opposite is true: A higher PreDelay moves the signal closer, as the tail get's seperated from the direct signal. You could also experiment with setting the PreDelay (and also decay time) in sync with the song-tempo to make the reverb less obvious.

If you've got some further questions don't hesitate to ask.
I've attempted to fix these issues. im wondering what has improved and what still needs fixing up. any input is awesome Smile

.mp3    im ight.mp3 --  (Download: 6.84 MB)

It sounds better regarding the phase issues.

However, I think you have to tweak the reverbs a little more. It's a bit much most of the time, especially on the vocals.
Make sure you use it as a send effect from the individual sources and tweak the send level to achieve depth without clutter.

I would also insert an EQ in front of your reverb plugin and high- and low-cut. The low-cut is to prevent to much low frequencies eating up all the reverbs "energy". The high-cut is to prevent it from sticking out to much. You can even try to tweak the high-cut frequency to create the impression of even more distance, because higher frequencies are lossing more energy (or rather convert kinetic energy to heat) for the same travel distance as lower frequencies. That's also true for the direct signals of course.

What I would also suggest is to bring up the solo-acoustic guitar more, so that one can clearly hear it against the solo electric.