Discussion Zone
LYFE GETS IN THE WAY ! - Printable Version

+- Discussion Zone (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com)
+-- Forum: 'Mixing Secrets' Free Multitrack Download Library: mixing forum (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=184)
+--- Forum: Rock, Punk, Metal (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Forum: Fytakyte: 'Life Gets In The Way' (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=492)
+---- Thread: LYFE GETS IN THE WAY ! (/showthread.php?tid=28214)

LYFE GETS IN THE WAY ! - Mark M.O.T.D. - 01-07-2019

Wicked tune as per, I can't believe it took me so long to find the whole album FREE to listen to on the band website (link at bottom of next post) pukka mucker

RE: LYFE GETS IN THE WAY ! - FytaKyte - 08-07-2019

Listening to the second mix - Nice, Mark! Punchy and full. I like the the drum sound especially - It has a cool organic feel to it. Generally levels are really well balanced and nicely controlled.

A few things I noticed:
- The vocals are a little dull in the top end; possibly a little boxy too. When the backgrounds come in toward the end, there is a bit of a buildup of low mids that, and they sound a bit murky. It could be also because I prefer less emphasis on the low register harmony parts.
- The panning overall is very narrow. There are plenty of parts to pan out wider in the choruses but everything sounds a little centred. The impact of the chorus improves in stereo when you pan things out wider IMO - it provides contrast with the verse.
-The mix has a nice full and warm low end, but it feels like it needs "open up" in the top end to balance that out with some clarity and sparkle.

Nice work!

RE: LYFE GETS IN THE WAY ! - Mark M.O.T.D. - 08-07-2019

(08-07-2019, 11:17 AM)FytaKyte Wrote: Listening to the second mix - Nice, Mark! Punchy and full. I like the the drum sound especially - It has a cool organic feel to it. Generally levels are really well balanced and nicely controlled.

A few things I noticed:
- The vocals are a little dull in the top end; possibly a little boxy too. When the backgrounds come in toward the end, there is a bit of a buildup of low mids that, and they sound a bit murky. It could be also because I prefer less emphasis on the low register harmony parts.
- The panning overall is very narrow. There are plenty of parts to pan out wider in the choruses but everything sounds a little centred. The impact of the chorus improves in stereo when you pan things out wider IMO - it provides contrast with the verse.
-The mix has a nice full and warm low end, but it feels like it needs "open up" in the top end to balance that out with some clarity and sparkle.

Nice work!
Thanks , your observations cut straight to the core ,what had been staring me in the ear'ole ,but that I had missed , my miscalculations were indeed killing the upper end ,hopefully it is less attenuated now (intentionally a bit on the drums to test the compressors 'tape' emulation) but should have better upper frequency response now, I'm happy you pointed it out after a quick listen ,It's taken me a while to finish all the doo-dads and to get around to DIRECT comparison with other mixes before I noticed, I just 'thought' ? it sounded nice and warm , but , finally I've reached a formula that works consistently
for manipulating the pitch tracking ,It renders of necessity an impression of pitch accuracy while in truth rendering ' flexible 'pitch tracking ,musically relevant output , rather than a static oscilloscope style accuracy .
Thanks again for your critique ,I have got hung up on a single point and must admit being a bit (lot) overwhelmed by your detailed critique which I shall attempt to address point by point in order to try to' do justice 'to this cracker of a song .
Many Thanks ,
and ,
Best Wishes, Mark
p.s.
An Unfortunate side effect of my erratic modus d' operandi is that when you post a critique I keep updating my mixes and by the time i.m aware of a critique I've lost all connection as to which version it is referencing, if I have the good fortune to have your input another time could you include the file name as it should make it easier to identify and address any problems.