Discussion Zone
Forkupines: 'Sugar - Faith' kapu mix - Printable Version

+- Discussion Zone (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com)
+-- Forum: 'Mixing Secrets' Free Multitrack Download Library: mixing forum (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=184)
+--- Forum: Rock, Punk, Metal (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Forum: Forkupines: 'Sugar - Faith' (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=491)
+---- Thread: Forkupines: 'Sugar - Faith' kapu mix (/showthread.php?tid=27843)

Pages: 1 2

Forkupines: 'Sugar - Faith' kapu mix - kapu - 03-06-2019

tried to preserve the subtle detail, natural dynamics and harmonic overtones of the source material. ^_^

RE: Forkupines: 'Sugar - Faith' kapu mix - Friggy - 04-06-2019

Awesome mix! The energy is kept and the song sounds nice and punchy!

Only two things jump out at me and they're both really small. The snare has a low resonance happening right around where all the body of the snare is. I'd just notch that down a little. And there's a single note from the guitar that is constantly ringing out (the one the intro is based around). I'd probably use a dynamic eq there to control how loud that note rings out over the rest of the song.

RE: Forkupines: 'Sugar - Faith' kapu mix - kapu - 04-06-2019

(04-06-2019, 06:59 AM)Friggy Wrote: Awesome mix! The energy is [...]

thanks for critique! i kind of deliberately resonated the body of snare to make it have more of that C64/SID/EDM splatty or whatever character when saturated, maybe went too far with that. i also tried to even out some the guitar resonances, but maybe should have done better job. thanks. ^_^

updated the mix with some slight tweaks. had also forgotten the drum trigger channels open, so muted them. ^_^

RE: Forkupines: 'Sugar - Faith' kapu mix - Shul - 04-06-2019

Very nice sounding mix!

Vocals are too forward for my taste making it sound a bit separated from everything else.
Guitar tones are good but some muddyness in them.
Thats pretty much it. Killer drum sound by the way.. I think i should fix my mix amd not squash the drums. Yours sound really raw and i like it. The OH control is also good.. I struggled a lot with the high mids and highs on my mix. The guitars have so much air in their eq that the tone just got ruined for me. I can't seem to grt the right tone with the DI"s either. Oh well... Gonna borrow some stuff from your mix Smile

(04-06-2019, 10:24 PM)Shul Wrote: Very nice sounding mix!

Vocals are [...]

thanks! well, its good to know the vocals are intelligible. i was worried they might be buried. could probably take them down a bit. guitars are indeed a bit of a struggle, there's so much everything it's really hard to decide what to keep and what to cut. ^_^

RE: Forkupines: 'Sugar - Faith' kapu mix - kapu - 05-06-2019

tried to clean up some stuff and added new version.

RE: Forkupines: 'Sugar - Faith' kapu mix - Roy - 06-06-2019

Just check out Mix 4. Sounds great. I'm not a huge fan of the snare sound. It works when everything is heavy but when in the verse when there's less going on it feels a bit artificial. Other than that there's some random instances where the volume of the vocal pops out on certain notes. I should have noted where. Mostly at the beginning. I think it's poor mic technique or something. Other than that, no real complaints.

RE: Forkupines: 'Sugar - Faith' kapu mix - kapu - 06-06-2019

(06-06-2019, 02:13 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: Just check out [...]

thanks for listen! i think there's a automation mistake by me for the vocals: the slight increase for chorus comes in a bit too early in some part.

layered samples for drums. tried to take the velocity down to better feel for verses. but automating the snare level or omitting the sample for verses sounded even worse in my mix, so had to rely more on the samples even on the lighter parts. had to choose the 'lesser of two evils'. ^_^

RE: Forkupines: 'Sugar - Faith' kapu mix - sagalegin - 10-06-2019

I like the overall depth and guitar tones. Drums also sound good. Good job