Discussion Zone
Hannes Keseberg: 'You Know Better' - Printable Version

+- Discussion Zone (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com)
+-- Forum: 'Mixing Secrets' Free Multitrack Download Library: mixing forum (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=184)
+--- Forum: Pop, Singer-Songwriter (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Hannes Keseberg: 'You Know Better' (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=473)
+---- Thread: Hannes Keseberg: 'You Know Better' (/showthread.php?tid=25811)

Pages: 1 2

Hannes Keseberg: 'You Know Better' - mick2015 - 14-01-2019

Greetings friends, here's my mix. Enjoying listening to all the mixes, a number of subtle challenges with this track, great vibe and really worked to bring out the poppiness, if that's even a word.

Cheers,
Mick

UPDATE: Mix 2 added, thanks for the feedback Smile

RE: Hannes Keseberg: 'You Know Better' - Mixinthecloud - 14-01-2019

A very good take on this. Clear and nuanced in all the right places. Well done.

RE: Hannes Keseberg: 'You Know Better' - mick2015 - 15-01-2019

Thanks very much, appreciate it.

RE: Hannes Keseberg: 'You Know Better' - dtldarek - 15-01-2019

Hi Mick, I like a lot how the rhythm guitar and piano fit with the vocal (both when the main vocal is with and without bg vocals) – they provide a strong backbone to the song, yet never once are annoying, distracting or fight with other parts (that will be my takeaway after listening to your version). On the arrangement side I would differentiate sections of the song a bit more, but that's just a nit, in general this is a well done mix!

RE: Hannes Keseberg: 'You Know Better' - thedon - 16-01-2019

Hey Mick ,
I like your mix a lot ,one minor nit pic is the transients of the tambourine jumping out just a touch.
Nice mixing as usual !
Cheers Big Grin

RE: Hannes Keseberg: 'You Know Better' - Olli H - 16-01-2019

Sounds excellent to me. Top mix.

Sonically and balancewise everything is just perfect, but i miss some variation between differenet parts. I agree with dtldarek. For example transition from verse to chorus could be slighlty bigger

RE: Hannes Keseberg: 'You Know Better' - mick2015 - 16-01-2019

(15-01-2019, 03:05 PM)dtldarek Wrote: Hi Mick, I like a lot how the rhythm guitar and piano fit with the vocal (both when the main vocal is with and without bg vocals) – they provide a strong backbone to the song, yet never once are annoying, distracting or fight with other parts (that will be my takeaway after listening to your version). On the arrangement side I would differentiate sections of the song a bit more, but that's just a nit, in general this is a well done mix!

Thanks darek, appreciate you taking the time to listen and provide your thoughts.

(16-01-2019, 09:36 AM)thedon Wrote: Hey Mick ,
I like your mix a lot ,one minor nit pic is the transients of the tambourine jumping out just a touch.
Nice mixing as usual !
Cheers Big Grin

Hey don, thanks for stopping by. Cheers mate

(16-01-2019, 12:29 PM)Olli H Wrote: Sounds excellent to me. Top mix.

Sonically and balancewise everything is just perfect, but i miss some variation between differenet parts. I agree with dtldarek. For example transition from verse to chorus could be slighlty bigger

Cheers Olli, all good appreciate it

RE: Hannes Keseberg: 'You Know Better' - Mike Senior - 16-01-2019

Hi mick2015! I generally like the clarity and openness of this mix, and the lead vocal's nicely upfront too, which is all good. A few specific things:
  • The kick drum is dominating over the bass at the low end, which means that the harmonic content of the music isn't well supported at the low end, which is maybe not good for a singer-songwriter like this. Furthermore, the bass plays a big role in the momentum of the track, and in the arrival of the Outro, so those don't deliver quite as effectively with such a kick-heavy low-end balance.
  • The kick also dominates over the snare, but the Reintro's groove doesn't really work very well without a reasonably strong backbeat. The outro also suffers a bit here, although it's mitigated by the addition of the backbeat claps.
  • The vocals are clear and have a nice subtle widening effect, but the low end could do with more control below about 200Hz. Listen to "...thing really swell" at 1:04, for instance, which suddenly booms out more than the surrounding lyrics.
  • In the outro, the mob vocals could be brought up, I think.
  • Both lead electric guitars feel like they could do with more dynamic control: some notes leap out unduly (eg. Intro), while others get lost, making the melodic lines less apparent (eg. Verse 2).
  • In general the effects are pretty tasteful, but also fairly static, which wastes some potential for emphasising the long-term mix dynamics -- eg. Verse 1 doesn't seem much different from Chorus 3 in this respect. Plus the lead vocal in the Outro feels like it could really do with a bit more expansive delay/reverb -- it is the climax of the song, after all! Smile

Hope some of that is helpful -- and thanks for letting us here another strong alternative vision!