Discussion Zone
Hannes Keseberg - You Know Better -Post MS Review and Competition Final - Printable Version

+- Discussion Zone (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com)
+-- Forum: 'Mixing Secrets' Free Multitrack Download Library: mixing forum (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=184)
+--- Forum: Pop, Singer-Songwriter (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Hannes Keseberg: 'You Know Better' (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=473)
+---- Thread: Hannes Keseberg - You Know Better -Post MS Review and Competition Final (/showthread.php?tid=25465)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: Hannes Keseberg - You Know Better - Mixinthecloud - 06-01-2019

(30-12-2018, 10:29 AM)thedon Wrote: Hi MITC,
Nice relaxed mix ,Listening On 3' Iloud and Hd600's at the Moment a touch heavy in the bottom end below 50hz and a db or so tame 5k and above .The top maybe caused by ear fatigue after playing in live gigs last night and the night before.
Will Have another Listen in the Next Couple of Days !
Cheers Big Grin

Hey Don,

Thanks for the listen. Made a few changes according to the great feedback. I hope it is an improvement.

RE: Hannes Keseberg - You Know Better -Updated - Ricardo - 06-01-2019

good mix

Q> what are your thoughts on the Perc. don't u think they are popping out of the mix a bit like it not glued with the rhythm. maybe its just me.

RE: Hannes Keseberg - You Know Better -Updated - kapu - 07-01-2019

sounds great! nothing add. ^_^

RE: Hannes Keseberg - You Know Better -Updated - thedon - 07-01-2019

Second version Sounds great on my monitors , As Ricardo has mentioned the percussion and also the upbeat of the guitar are popping out in the context of the mix compared with the kick beater ,snare crack .
Cheers

RE: Hannes Keseberg - You Know Better -Updated - Mixinthecloud - 07-01-2019

(06-01-2019, 09:38 PM)Ricardo Wrote: good mix

Q> what are your thoughts on the Perc. don't u think they are popping out of the mix a bit like it not glued with the rhythm. maybe its just me.

That is a good question. I treated the percussion as a counter-punctual, quasi-melodic highlight which pops in and out of the listeners attention based on the player and their dynamics. I tried squashing both conga and timbale and did not like the results. As both instruments have very sharp attacks I mixed them so their attacks would draw attention when the player's dynamics warranted it. Or at least I tried to. Besides the lead guitars, these are the only two instruments with a lot of movement to them.

(07-01-2019, 12:56 PM)thedon Wrote: Second version Sounds great on my monitors , As Ricardo has mentioned the percussion and also the upbeat of the guitar are popping out in the context of the mix compared with the kick beater ,snare crack .
Cheers

I tried to lay the rhythm guitar back but still maintain it as the primary groove element with the drums dynamically supporting it. The kit is much more dynamic. There is no real 'crack' of the snare. It reminds me a lot of a big fat Bill Szymczek (sic)/Eagles style snare and the kick is also laid back to work entirely with the bass guitar, which to me is the real anchor for this song. As for the percussion, please see my response to Ricardo's question.

I'm not sure if these approaches are right or wrong, but it seemed to be generated organically. I had to decide what this song was according to the lyric and the feel and putting the drums up front like it was a rock ballad was just wrong for me. This song, in my opinion, needed space to breathe and to support the vocals which were primary.

Thanks for the listen and your thoughts.

(07-01-2019, 10:03 AM)kapu Wrote: sounds great! nothing add. ^_^

Big Grin

RE: Hannes Keseberg - You Know Better -Updated - ghizzu - 08-01-2019

I like this mix. I share with you the philosophy of mixing this song: the relaxed feel, clear sounds, light touch of revs. For me this songs is not as much of reggae as kind of "bluesy", or urban country, whatever. The first time I heard the raw tracks, I thought "small combo in a small club". I think that my mix somehow resemble yours, only yours is probably better.

RE: Hannes Keseberg - You Know Better -Updated - Mixinthecloud - 08-01-2019

(08-01-2019, 11:37 AM)ghizzu Wrote: I like this mix. I share with you the philosophy of mixing this song: the relaxed feel, clear sounds, light touch of revs. For me this songs is not as much of reggae as kind of "bluesy", or urban country, whatever. The first time I heard the raw tracks, I thought "small combo in a small club". I think that my mix somehow resemble yours, only yours is probably better.

Thanks for the kind words. And yes, I agree. A funky, country, heartfelt love song which should be approached as such.

RE: Hannes Keseberg - You Know Better -Updated - Decapitator - 08-01-2019

(08-01-2019, 02:59 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote:
(08-01-2019, 11:37 AM)ghizzu Wrote: I like this mix. I share with you the philosophy of mixing this song: the relaxed feel, clear sounds, light touch of revs. For me this songs is not as much of reggae as kind of "bluesy", or urban country, whatever. The first time I heard the raw tracks, I thought "small combo in a small club". I think that my mix somehow resemble yours, only yours is probably better.

Thanks for the kind words. And yes, I agree. A funky, country, heartfelt love song which should be approached as such.

not really what I felt... this song has really a strong Caribbean feeling to my personal taste. Might be kinda winter depression though? Big Grin I really dig your mix.. but as I wrote... not sure about the "small/dry" vibe. Of course I might be wrong... but hey.. music is all about personal emotions and that's so great about music, is it? However, overall it's a nice clean mix without any technical issues. Keep it up!