Discussion Zone
Random Somebody: 'Crazy For Me' mixed in Presonus Studio One - Printable Version

+- Discussion Zone (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com)
+-- Forum: 'Mixing Secrets' Free Multitrack Download Library: mixing forum (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=184)
+--- Forum: Pop, Singer-Songwriter (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Random Somebody: 'Crazy For Me' (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=463)
+---- Thread: Random Somebody: 'Crazy For Me' mixed in Presonus Studio One (/showthread.php?tid=24651)

Random Somebody: 'Crazy For Me' mixed in Presonus Studio One - jameswoo - 09-10-2018

Hello everyone!

This is my first post on Cambridge Music Technology. Definitely appreciate the hard work by everyone in making this such a great resource site.

I did a mix of Crazy For Me and hope you can check it out and give me some feedback.

Mixed in Presonus Studio One v4.

Thanks!

RE: Random Somebody: 'Crazy For Me' mixed in Presonus Studio One - SonicTramp - 10-10-2018

I really like your mix. The balance is tasteful. Great job! * I see you did some tuning on the vocal. Am I right or my ears are messing with me? Smile. I didn't on my first try. But I just did it and planning on uploading it soon. Hope you'd take a listen and make a few (heh) comments if you can. Thanks.

RE: Random Somebody: 'Crazy For Me' mixed in Presonus Studio One - jameswoo - 10-10-2018

Hi SonicTramp

Thanks for listening to my mix.

Yes! You are so sharp! I used Melodyne to tune the vocal. There were some words that were slightly out of time too but I left it. On hindsight, I should have tighten them.

RE: Random Somebody: 'Crazy For Me' mixed in Presonus Studio One - SonicTramp - 10-10-2018

yea...it's annoying to listen to out of tune vocal while mixing (big distraction), so I decided to correct it on second try. I am just as lazy as the next guy, fyi Smile. Anyway, glad to run into you. Perhaps you'd hang around here long enough so we can keep in touch and help each other in our quest to be the mixing engineers we want to be. I have been mixing for approx 2yrs. I spent 90% of my time reading and watching as much YT video and books as I could in those first 2 yrs. I have a somewhat solid knowledge on the science side of mixing. I am, recently, kinda get used to with the tools I use (compressors, EQ, etc) to the point I can hear the changes I make when using them. Let's just say that I am somewhere in the tail end of the initial learning curve. From here on out, I suspect and am hopeful, the curve will be a little steeper to make my life easier Smile. The last 2 years were painful for me tbh. Let me know if you want to join a club where we can meet, mix songs, and teach each other. I have a bunch of dudes on the net that do. Let me know. Thanks

Here is my 3rd attempt on this song. Let me know what you think. Thanks

RE: Random Somebody: 'Crazy For Me' mixed in Presonus Studio One - jameswoo - 11-10-2018

Hi SonicTramp

Thanks for sharing your mix.

Overall, I can hear the instrument and vocal clearly.

Below are some observation:

1. The kick has a rather high pitch attached to it.
2. The bass can bring forward more.
3. The horns can bring down a little.

I am pretty new to mixing songs too. One thing I try to do is to mix the drum section first. Getting a good kick + snare + toms = half the job done.

Then I will put in the bass. Can solo the kick and bass to make sure they are sitting nicely.

Followed by the other instrument. Starting with the ones that are played more. In this case, the organ.

I will add in the vocal to check at every stage but will keep it to the last for automation.

RE: Random Somebody: 'Crazy For Me' mixed in Presonus Studio One - SonicTramp - 11-10-2018

Thanks for listening Jameswoo. I will take another listen and see what I can do to correct the problems you mentioned.

Yes, I did the same. I usually work on the OH first to provide a foundation for the rhythm section, then I go on to the kick, then the snare, and toms. After that I would mute everything and bring the bass in and try to balance the bass and the kick by themselves (cut and boost like a mad man). After I get them going to the way I like it, I'd put the drums section back in and work on the main instruments introduce them one at a time. After that it's just a matter of cleaning up the mud and separate the instruments the best I can. I do monitor (using headphones AKG K712) very low volume as I cannot have any monitor where I live (too much noise).

Anyway, thanks for the listen. It's always good to have a second opinion. From now on, if you mix any song just let me know. I'll take a listen and will tell you what I think. Thanks. Danny.