Discussion Zone
Negligent Father Mix - Printable Version

+- Discussion Zone (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com)
+-- Forum: 'Mixing Secrets' Free Multitrack Download Library: mixing forum (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=184)
+--- Forum: Alt Rock, Blues, Country Rock, Indie, Funk, Reggae (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Trafficker: 'My Father Never Loved Me' (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=459)
+---- Thread: Negligent Father Mix (/showthread.php?tid=24348)

Pages: 1 2

Negligent Father Mix - FytaKyte - 09-09-2018

Hi all, haven't done a mix for a while, so I thought I'd have a go at this one to keep my hand in.

If you get a chance, please have a listen and leave a comment, if you feel so inclined.

Thanks!

*Edit* Mix tweak on the bass as suggested for the second mix

RE: Negligent Father Mix - Lethan - 12-09-2018

Hey Andrew,
I like this mix very much! Very cool use of effects. Whats is that "echo effect" on vocal?
Bass and guitars work very well and smooth!
Only thing that came instantly is the click from the kick drum, perhaps too noticably or perhaps i'd like to hear different tone. I don't know, it was just feeling impression.
Thanks for sharing Smile

RE: Negligent Father Mix - FytaKyte - 12-09-2018

(12-09-2018, 04:05 PM)Lethan Wrote: Hey Andrew,
I like this mix very much! Very cool use of effects. Whats is that "echo effect" on vocal?
Bass and guitars work very well and smooth!
Only thing that came instantly is the click from the kick drum, perhaps too noticably or perhaps i'd like to hear different tone. I don't know, it was just feeling impression.
Thanks for sharing Smile

Thanks Lethan. Yeah , the kick is pretty aggressive, maybe a bit too aggressive. It seemed to match the nature of the snare, so that was the main reason I just went with it without thinking about it much.

The there are about 4 or 5 separate echo effects on the vocals, which are constantly being automated throughout the song. I haven't got the session opened at the moment, but I'll have to have a look and get back to you with more detail.

Thanks for listening & commenting!

RE: Negligent Father Mix - FytaKyte - 14-09-2018

(12-09-2018, 04:05 PM)Lethan Wrote: Whats is that "echo effect" on vocal?

Apart from a "room-style" reverb and a plate reverb, there are actually 6(!) different delays happening on the vocals. The constant "always on" delays are:
1. "Slap" mono 166ms tape delay (D16 Repeater plugin)
2. "Slap Room" delay 96ms stereo tape delay (D16 Repeater)

These other delays are automated to come in at different times to highlight certain phrases and words:

3: "Guitar" delay (as also used on lead guitar). A stereo delay 8th note delay with the RH side 10ms longer than the LH side (D16 Repeater)
4.: "SFX" low-fi stereo delay set to 8th dotted notes (Boz Imperial Delay)
5. "SFX1" mono telephone delay (heard during the long pauses in the song) Boz Imperial Delay set to 977.6ms.
6. "Spec FX" delay used just once in the song during the "easily lost my way" phrase. This is a Guitar Rig 4 preset called "Preversed Reverb", which is a fairly complex chain involving their excellent "Psychedelay". This was heavily automated to pan around.

Hope that explains it!

RE: Negligent Father Mix - Spandexcore - 14-09-2018

Good mix, just cant seem to like the effects on the Shakers

RE: Negligent Father Mix - Dangerous - 14-09-2018

"Negligent Father Mix" Your too funny Andrew.Big Grin

Mix is sounding great through headphones, big, loud and rocking. Tasteful use of effects. You must be getting on top of your new acoustic space. Great stuff indeed!

RE: Negligent Father Mix - FytaKyte - 15-09-2018

(14-09-2018, 11:54 AM)Spandexcore Wrote: Good mix, just cant seem to like the effects on the Shakers

Thanks - wow, keen ears! The shaker on the left has a flanger on it ... A bit of a whim to amuse myself - I didn't really think anyone would actually hear it!

RE: Negligent Father Mix - FytaKyte - 15-09-2018

(14-09-2018, 12:55 PM)Dangerous Wrote: "Negligent Father Mix" Your too funny Andrew.Big Grin

Hey Dave - Well yes, I try Wink

Quote:Mix is sounding great through headphones, big, loud and rocking. Tasteful use of effects. You must be getting on top of your new acoustic space. Great stuff indeed!

Good to know it works ok on cans - Thanks mate!

RE: Negligent Father Mix - OldNewbieITB - 18-09-2018

Hi Andrew - that’s a really good, solid mix. The guitar solo fits the song very well as do the Vox. Well done.

ONITB

RE: Negligent Father Mix - FytaKyte - 18-09-2018

(18-09-2018, 04:09 AM)OldNewbieITB Wrote: Hi Andrew - that’s a really good, solid mix. The guitar solo fits the song very well as do the Vox. Well done.

ONITB

Thank mate - I appreciate the listen and comment!