Discussion Zone
Ae Mere Humsafar_mix Tommy Marcinek (tjmtruth) - Printable Version

+- Discussion Zone (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com)
+-- Forum: 'Mixing Secrets' Free Multitrack Download Library: mixing forum (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=184)
+--- Forum: Pop, Singer-Songwriter (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Ajay Nagarkoti & Vibhu Dixit: 'Ae Mere Humsafar' (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=464)
+---- Thread: Ae Mere Humsafar_mix Tommy Marcinek (tjmtruth) (/showthread.php?tid=23679)

Ae Mere Humsafar_mix Tommy Marcinek (tjmtruth) - tjmtruth - 04-07-2018

AngelAngelAngel

Hello to everyone, especially the artist!

I spent a lot of time on this mix for several reasons: First, the song is just great and no matter how long I worked on the mix I just never got tired of it, and that's a good thing. Second, there were many challenges and I like a challenge in mixing.

In order to really make this work according to what I heard in my head, I had to take a few arrangement liberties but none that are too noticeable. First, as indicated, the vocals needed to be pitch-shifted. That took quite a bit of time because of the subtle nuances in the vocal embellishments that are typical in this style of music. And since I don't know the language, a lot of the tuning adjustments in those embellishment areas were very difficult. There was one spot in particular near the end at about 4:56 that was just not going to pitch-shift well without noticeable artifacts, so I did something rather creative I think, and it sounds just perfect with the note ringing out with delay and cutting out the embellishment that I could not correct with pitch shifting.

The bass, also, in several spots I had to correct. There was just too much dissonance in some spots (especially in the beginning area) so I either eliminated the dissonance by removing the note/s or I copied and/or pitch-shifted where necessary to make the bass sound right according to the basic chord structure I was hearing from all the other instruments. A few bass timing issues too. Now, however, I believe that this song can now be fully enjoyed by anyone not even knowing the language or being familiar with this style of music. It's just a real pretty and melodic tune!!!

Well, I've said a lot but I did put a lot of time into this and thought it would be a good idea to explain what I did and why.

Peace.....hope you all like it.

Tommy Marcinek

RE: Ae Mere Humsafar_mix Tommy Marcinek (tjmtruth) - Monk - 06-07-2018

Hello Tommy. You've been busy indeed, enjoyed the listen.

I'd clean up the verbs, they tend to get a bit congested from the build up on occasion for me.

Early on it sounded like the kick had too much attack, kind of rock style? Then I thought it might be a tambourine or similar element hitting at the same time as the kick giving the illusion?

The piano is a bit on the harsher side (as in digital), suggesting the attack could be eased up a bit to give some smoothness. I think a warmer timbre would help bring the song to the listener, crucially during the run in where it's quite naked.

Bass translated on small monitors rather well. Cymbal swells can get a little harsh. Nice wide mix which held up surprisingly well in mono though I'd widen the vocal a little otherwise the balance jumps out. In stereo it would make him feel a little less pinched.

Is it me, or is there some pumping going on with the masterbuss, or some sidechaining I'm possibly sensing?

Some nicework here, thanks for the listen.

RE: Ae Mere Humsafar_mix Tommy Marcinek (tjmtruth) - tjmtruth - 06-07-2018

(06-07-2018, 09:40 PM)Monk Wrote: Hello Tommy. You've been busy indeed, enjoyed the listen.

I'd clean up the verbs, they tend to get a bit congested from the build up on occasion for me.

Early on it sounded like the kick had too much attack, kind of rock style? Then I thought it might be a tambourine or similar element hitting at the same time as the kick giving the illusion?

The piano is a bit on the harsher side (as in digital), suggesting the attack could be eased up a bit to give some smoothness. I think a warmer timbre would help bring the song to the listener, crucially during the run in where it's quite naked.

Bass translated on small monitors rather well. Cymbal swells can get a little harsh. Nice wide mix which held up surprisingly well in mono though I'd widen the vocal a little otherwise the balance jumps out. In stereo it would make him feel a little less pinched.

Is it me, or is there some pumping going on with the masterbuss, or some sidechaining I'm possibly sensing?

Some nicework here, thanks for the listen.

-------------------
Monk, you got a good ear my friend. Yes, I did a bit of side-chain compression on the synth pad with the lead vocal doing the triggering....just a tad so I'm very surprised you heard that. All your other suggestions are great. The only thing is, the last time I did a song like this I was told that there wasn't enough delay/reverb...this style seems to demand it otherwise it's not considered in that genre. I'm only going by what I was told by another artist a while back. I think the kick simply has a bit more beater click in the beginning part and elsewhere later on.....I think they did the kick in sections and eq'd/processed it differently. If I had the time I'd go back and fix all those things but I put so much time into it I have to move on the other things. Did you do a mix on this? I have to check. Thanks for the feedback.

Tom