Discussion Zone
Triviul - Alright [OoF] - Printable Version

+- Discussion Zone (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com)
+-- Forum: 'Mixing Secrets' Free Multitrack Download Library: mixing forum (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=184)
+--- Forum: Pop, Singer-Songwriter (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Triviul: 'Alright?' (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=347)
+---- Thread: Triviul - Alright [OoF] (/showthread.php?tid=22838)

Triviul - Alright [OoF] - OctopusOnFire - 22-04-2018

Came back to mixing with this song after a couple weeks off. I had a problem with my left ear, and it was way more frustrating than I expected. Undecided

I think in the end I could pull out a decent mix, considering the odds. The voice tracks were very well recorded, and the rest of the elements worked together pretty good.

I spent quite a long time with this session, adjusting back from the illness, so I had time to mess with it a little and even do some modulating in the 3rd verse. Other than that, I added character to the virtual instruments with different kinds of saturation, compression, etc. and played around with phase to place them.

The voices worked well together in a nice arrangement, I mainly used waves C6 and tape saturation to bring down the harshness. Other than that, The usual EQ-compression-saturation chain.

The mix itself is quite compressed. I think it worked well that way. There's 2 compressors on parallel feeding the mix bus. There, you have an API-2500 just catching the peaks and some crazy stuff like Slate FG-Bomber, just for the kicks.
So it's compressed and punchy, and as wide as possible using the voice arrangement and the synths. There's also all kinds of vibe and noisy analog-ish stuff (to the point I had to denoise a couple tracks) Big Grin

All comments are welcome, cheers!

RE: Triviul - Alright [OoF] - Bombe - 25-09-2018

Hey there.

I really like the way you have fattened up the drums and percussion, the song sounds a lot fuller that way. Smile

Keep it up!

RE: Triviul - Alright [OoF] - Deliza - 17-11-2018

Mixing another Triviul tune at the moment and I thought; "Is this guy always this baroque?". I can see it is! This looks like a really hard one to face, but your mix sounds pro, big, cinematic and especially, coherent given that many voices. Kudos for not compressing the vocal I-spit-in-your-face Muse style, despite the apparent influence.

Only two little suggestions:

In the intro, bass seems to be too harmonic rich and has too many presence, it's fighting the vocals a little bit. But it sits much better in the mix once the drums come in and in the intro to the second verse, with no drums, it still works great. I don't know if that was automation or a result of bus dynamics processing.

Main vocal could be a little brighter/harsher to cut thru and command better over the other vocals.

But a great mix, anyway!

RE: Triviul - Alright [OoF] - OctopusOnFire - 18-11-2018

(17-11-2018, 03:02 PM)Deliza Wrote: Mixing another Triviul tune at the moment and I thought; "Is this guy always this baroque?". I can see it is! This looks like a really hard one to face, but your mix sounds pro, big, cinematic and especially, coherent given that many voices. Kudos for not compressing the vocal I-spit-in-your-face Muse style, despite the apparent influence.

Only two little suggestions:

In the intro, bass seems to be too harmonic rich and has too many presence, it's fighting the vocals a little bit. But it sits much better in the mix once the drums come in and in the intro to the second verse, with no drums, it still works great. I don't know if that was automation or a result of bus dynamics processing.

Main vocal could be a little brighter/harsher to cut thru and command better over the other vocals.

But a great mix, anyway!

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I'd probably do a different mix today. Going back to my own mixes from months ago makes my spine cringe out of my body most of the time, anyway Big Grin

RE: Triviul - Alright [OoF] - Dangerous - 19-11-2018

Nice work OOF. You keep this piece interesting and moving along nicely. Clever vocal processing along the way. I can agree with Deliza in that I think the main vocal part could have a bit more bite, and presence and rule the roost over the ghosting parts around it. Anyways, an enjoyable listen. Well Done.

RE: Triviul - Alright [OoF] - OctopusOnFire - 19-11-2018

(19-11-2018, 12:56 PM)Dangerous Wrote: Nice work OOF. You keep this piece interesting and moving along nicely. Clever vocal processing along the way. I can agree with Deliza in that I think the main vocal part could have a bit more bite, and presence and rule the roost over the ghosting parts around it. Anyways, an enjoyable listen. Well Done.

Thanks!

RE: Triviul - Alright [OoF] - Fenekucci - 21-11-2018

Sounds great. You've created a beautiful vibe here

RE: Triviul - Alright [OoF] - cuttycuttinup87 - 13-03-2019

i like it sounds like you could use more deeser