Discussion Zone
fAlling aPart -Scheps Omni Channel Mix - Printable Version

+- Discussion Zone (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com)
+-- Forum: 'Mixing Secrets' Free Multitrack Download Library: mixing forum (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=184)
+--- Forum: Alt Rock, Blues, Country Rock, Indie, Funk, Reggae (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Phre The Eon: 'Everybody's Falling Apart' (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=83)
+---- Thread: fAlling aPart -Scheps Omni Channel Mix (/showthread.php?tid=21925)

Pages: 1 2

fAlling aPart -Scheps Omni Channel Mix - FytaKyte - 01-02-2018

Here’s a mix done almost entirely with Waves’ new “Scheps Omni Channel Plugin”. I used a few other plugins for ambience, delays etc, but for the most part it’s the Scheps plugin, including using it on the 2 Buss. Thanks in advance for listening and commenting!

RE: fAlling aPart -Scheps Omni Channel Mix - LukasL - 01-02-2018

Hey Andrew,

awesome mix. Sounds very professional and unique.
The longer I listen to it, the more I like it, love your low-end Wink

Disclaimer - Personal opinions incoming:
For me the drums are bit overcompressed, also the snare seems to introduce some kind of noise which is a bit distracting. (2:14)
Also the phaser/flanger (whatever it is xD), is a bit much.
Furthermore I think the song starts out a bit unbalanced stereo wise. (I am listening on headphones)
Section at 1:30:
Sounds a little bit muddy and could use some more clarity.

Apart from that, excellent job overall!

Cheers,
Lukas Angel

Please take a listen to one of my mixes and critique it.

RE: fAlling aPart -Scheps Omni Channel Mix - Roy - 01-02-2018

I think it sounds pretty great. No real issues. The main guitar might be a hair loud and takes away from the focus of the vocal. Especially listening at lower volume. On a second listen it might just be that the vocal feels a little small. Maybe it could come up some and/or have some other effect on it. I find the open hi hat distracting but I always find open hi hats distracting so it might just be me.
The drums don't feel over compressed to me. I hear the noise that Lukas mentioned but it doesn't bother me. Maybe is a bottom snare mic. I dunno.
That's everything that jumps out at me. Good job.

RE: fAlling aPart -Scheps Omni Channel Mix - FytaKyte - 02-02-2018

(01-02-2018, 01:15 PM)LukasL Wrote: Hey Andrew,

awesome mix. Sounds very professional and unique.
The longer I listen to it, the more I like it, love your low-end Wink

Disclaimer - Personal opinions incoming:
For me the drums are bit overcompressed, also the snare seems to introduce some kind of noise which is a bit distracting. (2:14)
Also the phaser/flanger (whatever it is xD), is a bit much.
Furthermore I think the song starts out a bit unbalanced stereo wise. (I am listening on headphones)
Section at 1:30:
Sounds a little bit muddy and could use some more clarity.

Apart from that, excellent job overall!

Cheers,
Lukas Angel

Please take a listen to one of my mixes and critique it.

Thanks for listening and commenting, Lukas!

Glad you like the low end. I was braver with it than I usually am - I was going for a fat indie dance feel, so I kept a lot more sub than I would do with say, a straight indie rock or rock track.

I don't have a tonne of compression going on the drums - 2 or 3 Db at most. Tried to keep the drums impactful but still fat.

I like the idea of deliberately unbalancing then balancing the mix left and right - it's another way to add contrast to a mix - not to everyone's taste, though.

The sound you can hear on the snare at 2:14 is actually some parallel mix flanging - the flanger is automated fairly low at that point, but it gradually increases during that transition into the last instrumental section, where it is then switched off, only to come back during the ending.

The muddiness you mentioned at 1:30: I'll have to have another listen there - perhaps the distorted guitar could use a little more low end filtering - I'll check that out.

Thanks again for your comments - much appreciated.

RE: fAlling aPart -Scheps Omni Channel Mix - thedon - 02-02-2018

Hi Andrew ,
I love your version sounds good on my monitors ,the panned guitar is popping out just a touch just in the 1.1 -2.2 ka area .
I'm due for another of this mix awesome song !
I also downloaded the trial of the Scheps Omni Channel Plugin and purchased it soon after giving it a try .

Cheers Big Grin

(01-02-2018, 02:55 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: I think it sounds pretty great. No real issues. The main guitar might be a hair loud and takes away from the focus of the vocal. Especially listening at lower volume. On a second listen it might just be that the vocal feels a little small. Maybe it could come up some and/or have some other effect on it. I find the open hi hat distracting but I always find open hi hats distracting so it might just be me.
The drums don't feel over compressed to me. I hear the noise that Lukas mentioned but it doesn't bother me. Maybe is a bottom snare mic. I dunno.
That's everything that jumps out at me. Good job.

Thanks Roy!

I automated the main guitar to be louder when the vocals weren't present. Noting your comments, I "whisper-checked" the vocal levels on cruddy work speakers in a noisey environment, and they actually held up pretty well. The vocalist has a fairly cutting tone, so it lends itself well to being a little tucked in... Trying to retain the power of the music while still maintaining intelligibility.

I also normally like to tuck down hi hats a little, but I felt the open-closed hihat "swoosh" in the chorus was a major feature of the disco-ish groove, so I really wanted to feature it.

Thanks again - I appreciate the kind comments.

(02-02-2018, 09:15 AM)thedon Wrote: Hi Andrew ,
I love your version sounds good on my monitors ,the panned guitar is popping out just a touch just in the 1.1 -2.2 ka area .
I also downloaded the trial of the Scheps Omni Channel Plugin and purchased it soon after giving it a try .

Cheers Big Grin

Thanks Don - The Omni Channel is very cool - we are so spoiled for choice with great processors these days...

Which guitar are you referring to?

RE: fAlling aPart -Scheps Omni Channel Mix - thedon - 03-02-2018

(02-02-2018, 11:06 AM)fHumble fHingaz Wrote:
(02-02-2018, 09:15 AM)thedon Wrote: Hi Andrew ,

Cheers Big Grin

Which guitar are you referring to?
The right panned guitar listening on ns10's and horror tones which are over hyped in that area but don't notice it on other monitors or headphones .
Cheers Big Grin

RE: fAlling aPart -Scheps Omni Channel Mix - FytaKyte - 04-02-2018

(03-02-2018, 10:26 AM)thedon Wrote: The right panned guitar listening on ns10's and horror tones which are over hyped in that area but don't notice it on other monitors or headphones .
Cheers Big Grin

Oh Ok - that's interesting. I've checked it on few systems, but I'll listen on a few more. Do you think it's an eq thing or a level thing?

RE: fAlling aPart -Scheps Omni Channel Mix - Lethan - 20-05-2018

Hello Andrew,
Really like your version of this song. Everything sounds sweet, nice dynamic and clarity. The only thing i would change is snare sound. Despite it is nice mixed in. Taste of matter I guess. Is it a sample or you processed it this way?