Discussion Zone
The Long Wait: 'Back Home to Blue' (Critiques plz) - Printable Version

+- Discussion Zone (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com)
+-- Forum: 'Mixing Secrets' Free Multitrack Download Library: mixing forum (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=184)
+--- Forum: Acoustic, Jazz, Country, Orchestral (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+---- Forum: The Long Wait: 'Back Home To Blue' (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=278)
+---- Thread: The Long Wait: 'Back Home to Blue' (Critiques plz) (/showthread.php?tid=19707)

The Long Wait: 'Back Home to Blue' (Critiques plz) - LukasL - 26-07-2017

Hey guys and girls.

This is my mix, did it 1.5 hours so no automation yet. Please listen and critique Big Grin

EDIT: Remastered and sligtly tweaked the mix. Uploaded 2nd version.

EDIT EDIT:
- Reworked Snare
- Reworked Acoustic Guitar
- 2nd Compressor on vocal
- Mastering chain tweaks (Bit louder now, not really intentional but still fine)
- Kick: No boost 50Hz, slight boost at 150Hz (thanks BRBWaffles Big Grin)

I think I am done. (v3) Yay!

EDIT EDIT EDIT:
- Bass to loud and also changed other stuff
-> I think I am really done now xD

Lukas Angel

RE: The Long Wait: 'Back Home to Blue' (Critiques plz) - crownoise - 27-07-2017

Hey man! How you doing, glad to see that you took this one on to! Smile I Really like your ideas on this one. You made it real chill style. I got to say though that i think the drums lack some sort of definition, i mean its super cool to have that mellow thump in the kick but it is almost a bit to much even though its nice. Also the singer sounds real tired, maybe she could benefit from some processing, but i like the way u kept her dynamically in check without destroying her Smile. I believe some smacky compressor could catch her peaks and make her a bit more forwar, la2 style. Also i thought that left superbright guitar didnt contribute to much other then annoying strings, also made left channel overdominant. I think the snare could need some punch and agression in the higher freq around 1.8k but i like how you kept it back a bit though. Other then that its a nice mix Smile

RE: The Long Wait: 'Back Home to Blue' (Critiques plz) - LukasL - 27-07-2017

Thanks Big Grin

Yeah, the kick is quite mellow, maybe a tad loud I'll see wat I can do.
I am relativly happy with the vocal to be honest, but I'll try tweaking anyway Big Grin
Jup, I f*ed up the Acoustic on the left.
The snare recording is teribble and sounds more like a hi-hat mic. I tried best I could without samples.

LukasAngel

RE: The Long Wait: 'Back Home to Blue' (Critiques plz) - crownoise - 28-07-2017

(27-07-2017, 11:18 PM)LukasL Wrote: Thanks Big Grin

Yeah, the kick is quite mellow, maybe a tad loud I'll see wat I can do.
I am relativly happy with the vocal to be honest, but I'll try tweaking anyway Big Grin
Jup, I f*ed up the Acoustic on the left.
The snare recording is teribble and sounds more like a hi-hat mic. I tried best I could without samples.

LukasAngel

Ye well real men don't need samples Big Grin Haha yeah the hihat was almost same lvl lol :O guess they never though about mic position Tongue

RE: The Long Wait: 'Back Home to Blue' (Critiques plz) - BRBWaffles - 30-07-2017

I'm glad to see you took an interest in some of my advice, haha. Regarding the kickdrum, the trick I was discussing was to boost the fundamental of the kick (usually 50Hz), attenuate the next harmonic (100Hz), and then boost the next harmonic (150Hz). If you do this and make a really wide shallow cut around 300Hz, you can get a really deep full-bodied kick. However, not every kick is the same. In this song, the fundamental of the kick is around 62Hz. That means you boost 62Hz (if needed), attenuate 124Hz, and boost a little 186Hz. If you want you can then make your mid-range cut around 372Hz.

This harmonic trick is really only for dealing with puffy kicks that need more body, and it isn't always applicable. Sometimes the kick needs very little EQ at all. Always make your moves with intention, and the only thing that should inform your intentions is what your ears are telling you.