Discussion Zone
Eliza Jane - HB Mix - Printable Version

+- Discussion Zone (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com)
+-- Forum: 'Mixing Secrets' Free Multitrack Download Library: mixing forum (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=184)
+--- Forum: Acoustic, Jazz, Country, Orchestral (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+---- Forum: James May: 'Eliza Jane' (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=389)
+---- Thread: Eliza Jane - HB Mix (/showthread.php?tid=18681)

Pages: 1 2

Eliza Jane - HB Mix - HbGuitar - 10-04-2017

Another lovely song by James May.

Was about to post my mix and then read James' notes about the rough arrangement being a bit busy.......and as soon as i read that......all i could hear was how busy my mix was! So back to the drawing board but I'm sort of glad i did.

RE: Eliza Jane - HB Mix - thedon - 10-04-2017

Love your mix ,good job with the instrument placement no complaints.
looks like i have to go back to the drawing board also.

Cheers Big Grin

RE: Eliza Jane - HB Mix - Dangerous - 10-04-2017

Great judgement on the arrangement.
For me, the mandolin parts could come up a little more in volume where you have featured them. A nice bit of ear candy which will help the song move alone.

Well Done.

RE: Eliza Jane - HB Mix - Olli H - 10-04-2017

Very pleasant to listen. I started to listen the song and forgot to analyze your mix….

RE: Eliza Jane - HB Mix - HbGuitar - 11-04-2017

(10-04-2017, 09:39 AM)thedon Wrote: Love your mix ,good job with the instrument placement no complaints.
looks like i have to go back to the drawing board also.

Cheers Big Grin

Thanks for listening Don....Cheers

(10-04-2017, 01:14 PM)Dangerous Wrote: Great judgement on the arrangement.
For me, the mandolin parts could come up a little more in volume where you have featured them. A nice bit of ear candy which will help the song move alone.

Well Done.

Hey Dave, thanks for listening. You're probably right about the mandolins. At the time of mixing I had gone from way too much mandolin to using the mandolin almost like a melodic pad. You sort of know its there but don't appreciate it until it goes away.....that was the plan anyways

Cheers, Simon

(10-04-2017, 01:29 PM)Olli H Wrote: Very pleasant to listen. I started to listen the song and forgot to analyze your mix….

thx Olli - i take that as a great compliment

RE: Eliza Jane - HB Mix - kapu - 11-04-2017

Great mix! About vocals, for me there seems to be a slight constant buzzy crickety resonance somewhere around 6k perhaps. The large diaphgram condenser effect. It's of course highly subjective, as many people take it as mark of 'pro' sound, but it works usually better with more rhythmic material with less legato notes. Again, highly subjective. Anyways, great and convincing mix and I probably wouldn't change a thing. ^_^

RE: Eliza Jane - HB Mix - Roy - 11-04-2017

It sounds pretty good to me. The main thing that jumps out at me is that it feels "right heavy". The pedal steel is a little to the right and an acoustic (I think) and one of the mandolins has a riff early on that catches the ear and my focus leans to the right. Maybe just swapping the panning of the mandolins would balance it out.

I think it could be a little warmer. It has a brightness in the steel that puts it on the same level of the vocal. If it was a little darker it'd probably slide right behind the vocal and support it more.
Overall it has plenty of low end. Maybe too much. It's not boomy but it skews the perspective of the song. It takes up a little too much space that might not be right for the song. It feels like it's trying to support the pedal steel and if that came back the bass could come back as well. I don't think I'm explaining it well!

Overall it works pretty well. Any issues I have are minor.

RE: Eliza Jane - HB Mix - HbGuitar - 12-04-2017

(11-04-2017, 09:14 AM)kapu Wrote: Great mix! About vocals, for me there seems to be a slight constant buzzy crickety resonance somewhere around 6k perhaps. The large diaphgram condenser effect. It's of course highly subjective, as many people take it as mark of 'pro' sound, but it works usually better with more rhythmic material with less legato notes. Again, highly subjective. Anyways, great and convincing mix and I probably wouldn't change a thing. ^_^

Hey kapu, thanks for listening. Interesting note about LDC frequency bump....I'll have a look when i go back in. Cheers