Discussion Zone
Still flying - this song needs the full Joey Sturgis Treatment =) - Printable Version

+- Discussion Zone (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com)
+-- Forum: 'Mixing Secrets' Free Multitrack Download Library: mixing forum (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=184)
+--- Forum: Rock, Punk, Metal (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Forum: The Apprehended: 'Still Flyin'' (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=365)
+---- Thread: Still flying - this song needs the full Joey Sturgis Treatment =) (/showthread.php?tid=17076)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Still flying - this song needs the full Joey Sturgis Treatment =) - Blitzzz - 15-11-2016

I wasn't 100% happy with the vocals so I deleted half of the plugins of my vocal chain and only kept the ones that were really doing something (went from 6 plugins down to 3). Vocals sound slightly fuller now and gel more into the song. Did some automation to bring some highlights in the spotlight (mainly overheads and hats).

RE: Still flying - this song needs the full Joey Sturgis Treatment =) - Jimdolorian - 16-11-2016

Hello Smile,

-Toms are too loud.
-Voice volume could be lower :p
-Too much verb on 2.00 lead.
-Leads are a bit lost sometimes.
-Maybe rythm could be louder.

Exept that, this is pretty good sounding !

Take care.

RE: Still flying - this song needs the full Joey Sturgis Treatment =) - Blitzzz - 08-12-2016

After working on a lot of others projects I finally came back to this song and made two small adjustments:
1. Turned the vocals down a db. I prefer "vocal up" mixes but it was a tad too much.
2. Brought down the toms by 2 dbs after clipping them a little more.

For me, Still_Flyin_Final Mix 3.mp3 is solid as rock and from here everything else is pretty much personal preference and won't change the impact much.

Cheers,
Dirk

RE: Still flying - this song needs the full Joey Sturgis Treatment =) - jerze - 09-12-2016

Cool intro. I like the mix you covered the issues with the tracks well. The only thing are the toms are still too hot at times.
I might have to revisit mine and try and correct some things.
Great job!

RE: Still flying - this song needs the full Joey Sturgis Treatment =) - AndyBonnar - 11-12-2016

(11-11-2016, 11:51 AM)Blitzzz Wrote: Know that feeling, Takka. I wish I knew a way how to make the lead vocals sound smooth. I waisted 3-4 hours yesterday trying to fix those harsh frequencies in the 1-3k area with as less processing as I could but to no avail. Probably have to bring out the big guns and just squash them to death.

If you can, maybe try a multi band compressor (TDR Nova is free). I was able to zero in on those harsh frequencies around 3-3.5 k which really helped.

RE: Still flying - this song needs the full Joey Sturgis Treatment =) - mick2015 - 18-12-2016

Hey Dirk, Mix3 is a solid mix, nice job. The drum samples you've used sound particularly good, the low end of the kick works really well. Personally, I'd like to hear a touch more top end/air and a bit more width. That's just my preference. I've just started having a look at this mix, keen to hear your feedback when I've uploaded it. Cheers, Mick.

RE: Still flying - this song needs the full Joey Sturgis Treatment =) - matiasgodoy399 - 22-12-2016

sounds awesome dude!

Nice intro, nice choice of drum samples, that snare cuts through incredibly good. Personally, I would like to hear the vocals a little bit brighter, although I know those are a pain in the ass vocals to work on the first place... Yet, It's definitely a killer mix

Please come over and listen to my mix, I'm sure you will be able to helpfully criticise me!

Cheers!
Matias

RE: Still flying - this song needs the full Joey Sturgis Treatment =) - OldNewbieITB - 15-09-2018

Hi Blitzzz - I know this is almost two years old but I just found this tune and you did an awesome job on this mix. The choices you made were really good. Many thanks for sharing.

ONITB

RE: Still flying - this song needs the full Joey Sturgis Treatment =) - Blitzzz - 14-03-2019

Thank you mate, didn't see your comment. Someone from the band also gave me his blessing, so it seems like I did something right back then Smile

RE: Still flying - this song needs the full Joey Sturgis Treatment =) - Arielp - 17-09-2019

wow sound good super good job blitzz