Discussion Zone
Diesel13: 'Colour Me Red' - Printable Version

+- Discussion Zone (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com)
+-- Forum: 'Mixing Secrets' Free Multitrack Download Library: mixing forum (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=184)
+--- Forum: Alt Rock, Blues, Country Rock, Indie, Funk, Reggae (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Diesel13: 'Colour Me Red' (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=363)
+---- Thread: Diesel13: 'Colour Me Red' (/showthread.php?tid=17057)

Pages: 1 2 3

Diesel13: 'Colour Me Red' - Dangerous - 09-11-2016

Hello all,

I have finally found a couple of hours over the weekend to have a play with this one. Upon exploring the multi's for the first time, I was immediately drawn to the main electric guitar track and figured I would base the song around this. For me this approach worked well with the arrangement of the other guitars and I found their placement in the stereo field quite easy to position.

With my time constraints, I moved through this one swiftly with decisive, instinctive and for the most part simple moves and processing. The mix is almost in a LCR style panning. This was not my original objective, but just ended up that way as I moved through the arrangement. I also fell in love with the banjo rolls that emerges amidst the finale towards the end of the song. Thus I decided to hi light this part within a new intro for the song. This allowed me to utilise a bit more of those great backing vocals also.

Thanks to Mike, Joe Lonsdale and Diesel13. Wonderful content, We are so luckyBig Grin

Update 26-11-16

My final mix #2 added. Some minor reworking based on Mikes critique including some additional loudness processing.

RE: Diesel13: 'Colour Me Red' - jeffd42 - 09-11-2016

(09-11-2016, 11:25 AM)Dangerous Wrote: I have finally found a couple of hours over the weekend to have a play with this one. Upon exploring the multi's for the first time, I was immediately drawn to the main electric guitar track and figured I would base the song around this. For me this approach worked well with the arrangement of the other guitars and I found their placement in the stereo field quite easy to position.

Very nicely judged mix. Particularly like the drums. The revised intro works well (not so sure on the outro voices though)? Cheers, Jeff

RE: Diesel13: 'Colour Me Red' - javierpg84 - 09-11-2016

(09-11-2016, 11:25 AM)Dangerous Wrote: Hello all,

I have finally found a couple of hours over the weekend to have a play with this one. Upon exploring the multi's for the first time, I was immediately drawn to the main electric guitar track and figured I would base the song around this. For me this approach worked well with the arrangement of the other guitars and I found their placement in the stereo field quite easy to position.

With my time constraints, I moved through this one swiftly with decisive, instinctive and for the most part simple moves and processing. The mix is almost in a LCR style panning. This was not my original objective, but just ended up that way as I moved through the arrangement. I also fell in love with the banjo rolls that emerges amidst the finale towards the end of the song. Thus I decided to hi light this part within a new intro for the song. This allowed me to utilise a bit more of those great backing vocals also.

Thanks to Mike, Joe Lonsdale and Diesel13. Wonderful content, We are so luckyBig Grin
Great mix Dave, bold move with the intro, punchy clear drums. LCR works great for you and excellent vocal control and tightness. One of these days you have to show me how to do vocals a la Dangerous.
Cheers

RE: Diesel13: 'Colour Me Red' - Cudjoe - 09-11-2016

Hi Dave well,well, well love your work man well done.

RE: Diesel13: 'Colour Me Red' - thedon - 10-11-2016

Love your mix Dave !!!!!
Sounds Great Big Grin
Well done

RE: Diesel13: 'Colour Me Red' - Dangerous - 10-11-2016

(09-11-2016, 02:36 PM)jeffd42 Wrote: Very nicely judged mix. Particularly like the drums. The revised intro works well (not so sure on the outro voices though)? Cheers, Jeff

Thanks Jeff. I appreciate your thoughts on the outro. I wasn't too sure of it myself in the end, but decided to run with it and see how it would be received.

Thanks again

Dave

(09-11-2016, 03:55 PM)javierpg84 Wrote: [quote='Dangerous' pid='53095' dateline='1478687107']

Great mix Dave, bold move with the intro, punchy clear drums. LCR works great for you and excellent vocal control and tightness. One of these days you have to show me how to do vocals a la Dangerous.
Cheers

Thanks for the kind words javierpg84. "vocals a la Dangerous" This made me laughBig Grin

Not sure that there's anything too special with my vocal processing. I do like to set up a parallel compression track that I send the vox into. A fairly aggressive 10:1 ratio 8 -12dB gain reduction and a fast attach time. I sometimes like to colour this track with some distortion or saturation also (depending on the needs) and finally control any sibilance or nasties with dynamic eq if need. Adding some of this back into the mix helps with the body of the vocal without affecting the dynamics too much. This signal chain is maybe what you are hearing. Just got to watch for some of the phasing issues that can arise sometimes. It's certainly a technique you should explore if your not already doing so.Smile

Cheers,

Dave

(09-11-2016, 06:54 PM)Cudjoe Wrote: Hi Dave well,well, well love your work man well done.

Thanks Cudjoe, Very much appreciatedBig Grin

(10-11-2016, 11:19 AM)thedon Wrote: Love your mix Dave !!!!!
Sounds Great Big Grin
Well done

Valued Comment Don. Thank youBig Grin

RE: Diesel13: 'Colour Me Red' - IRONWORK - 10-11-2016

Wow! Nice one Dangerous Dave! I love this supremely confident mix... Love the intro and the outro! The clarity of all the instruments is superb, making this breathe well... It feels light, open, spacious, bouncy, rockin' !
Just a thought for the intro - would it sound good to remove the last 4 bars (00:13 to 00:19) before the main song comes in? The banjo going up 2 chords sounds odd to me... Or keep the intro the same length but have the banjo stay on the same riff?
In any case, this was an ear-opener! :-)
Cheers, Graham.