Discussion Zone
W.I.N.D.: 'Funky To The Bone' - Printable Version

+- Discussion Zone (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com)
+-- Forum: 'Mixing Secrets' Free Multitrack Download Library: mixing forum (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=184)
+--- Forum: Alt Rock, Blues, Country Rock, Indie, Funk, Reggae (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: W.I.N.D.: 'Funky To The Bone' (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=364)
+---- Thread: W.I.N.D.: 'Funky To The Bone' (/showthread.php?tid=16722)

Pages: 1 2

W.I.N.D.: 'Funky To The Bone' - javierpg84 - 18-10-2016

W.I.N.D.: 'Funky To The Bone'

Things I found by mixing this song:
1- Phase correlation matters (a lot)
2- Pre-work labeling and coloring can save you a lot of time when mixing, specially with so many guitar tracks in this song
3- In order to fit the kick and the bass, frequency sweeping its your best ally, the kick lives near 60hz and the bass can take the rest of the space, excepts that frequency and the consecutive harmonics in 120Hz and reserve 220Hz for the snare. Some eq cuts on those frequencies helped me here.
4- Panning the guitars was really hard with so many tracks. Fortunately, most of the sounds were complimentary and can be combined to be panned left and right. I checked mono compatibility a lot.
5- Excellent recording quality, I guess that some compression was used when tracking because the voice tracks are almost untouched in my mix, some reverb with a EMT140 and some room reverb, that was all I used.
6-Using a Pultec type of eq. will bring any drum or bass to "higher ground" using boost at 60Hz for the kick and 100 Hz for the bass.

Feel free to share your experiences while mixing this amazing song. Thanks to Mike Senior and the musicians for sharing this track for our learning.
Cheers,

RE: W.I.N.D.: 'Funky To The Bone' - thedon - 18-10-2016

Nice solid mix sounds well balanced ,love the punchy drums especially the bass and kick sound great.
one minor probably taste thing for me is to tame some woosh sound on the open hi hat with a dynamic eq and bring out a touch more higher frequencies.

Well Done Big Grin

RE: W.I.N.D.: 'Funky To The Bone' - javierpg84 - 18-10-2016

(18-10-2016, 09:56 AM)thedon Wrote: Nice solid mix sounds well balanced ,love the punchy drums especially the bass and kick sound great.
Thank you thedon
one minor probably taste thing for me is to tame some woosh sound on the open hi hat with a dynamic eq and bring out a touch more higher frequencies.
You are right about the hit hat, it was done purposely, I attenuated a lot the air on the hit hats using a Pultec. Yesterday it seemed to bright, but maybe I could bring it back a little bit. Thx for the input
Well Done Big Grin

RE: W.I.N.D.: 'Funky To The Bone' - Cudjoe - 18-10-2016

Hi Javierpg84 woo! Them guys are jumping out of my speakers with your mix man,kick has a little too much upfrontness for me but hey it works well,thanks for sharing your mix.

RE: W.I.N.D.: 'Funky To The Bone' - javierpg84 - 18-10-2016

(18-10-2016, 04:01 PM)Cudjoe Wrote: Hi Javierpg84 woo! Them guys are jumping out of my speakers with your mix man,kick has a little too much upfrontness for me but hey it works well,thanks for sharing your mix.

Hahaha thanks man. It has to be funky!!!
Cheers

RE: W.I.N.D.: 'Funky To The Bone' - lupulus - 19-10-2016

great balance overall, great drum sound, but a think the mix is a liiiittle bit dark, needs a little bit of air and thats it!

RE: W.I.N.D.: 'Funky To The Bone' - javierpg84 - 19-10-2016

Thank you lupulus. I agree with both of you. I went too far wit the attenuation on the Pultec of the drums. Thank you for listening

RE: W.I.N.D.: 'Funky To The Bone' - flyrecords - 20-10-2016

Buena mezcla bro!!! me gusto mucho!!!! saludos!!

RE: W.I.N.D.: 'Funky To The Bone' - javierpg84 - 20-10-2016

(20-10-2016, 07:57 PM)flyrecords Wrote: Buena mezcla bro!!! me gusto mucho!!!! saludos!!

Gracias, saludos.

RE: W.I.N.D.: 'Funky To The Bone' - thetanks - 22-10-2016

Nice mix! I like the smack on the snare. I find the kick drum a bit loud, but i also like the way it comes across in the mix. I also find the guitars a little dry, but that is more about taste than anything.

Great job!