Discussion Zone
Lead Inc: 'The Dice' - Printable Version

+- Discussion Zone (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com)
+-- Forum: 'Mixing Secrets' Free Multitrack Download Library: mixing forum (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=184)
+--- Forum: Rock, Punk, Metal (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Forum: Lead Inc: 'The Dice' (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=339)
+---- Thread: Lead Inc: 'The Dice' (/showthread.php?tid=14586)

Pages: 1 2 3

Lead Inc: 'The Dice' - Dangerous - 02-04-2016

Finally got around to having a go at this one. Not too much experience at mixing these heavier tracks. It may be a little full in the 100hz area still. A popular tune for sure.

Update, uploaded mix #2, Added a snare sample and went for a slightly fuller guitar tone. Other minor adjustments also.

RE: Lead Inc: 'The Dice' - thedon - 03-04-2016

Hey Dave ,
I love your mix ,the punchy drums and snappy snare sounds great.
Nice width on the electrics they sound great ,wondering if the panned electrics could use a touch more compression or dynamic eq to tame some attack of the pick hitting the strings as can hear some popping out of the side channels just a touch, more noticeable in the verse and on headphones but just my personal thoughts and not a big deal.
Well Done Big Grin

RE: Lead Inc: 'The Dice' - Dangerous - 03-04-2016

(03-04-2016, 12:08 AM)thedon Wrote: Hey Dave ,
I love your mix ,the punchy drums and snappy snare sounds great.
Nice width on the electrics they sound great ,wondering if the panned electrics could use a touch more compression or dynamic eq to tame some attack of the pick hitting the strings as can hear some popping out of the side channels just a touch, more noticeable in the verse and on headphones but just my personal thoughts and not a big deal.
Well Done Big Grin

Thanks Don, Good ear with the guitars! I didn't notice it before but definitely hear it now. Didn't use any downward comp on the guitar bus so that probably the problem. I will try some slight compression to tidy things up.

RE: Lead Inc: 'The Dice' - Houndface - 04-04-2016

Hey Dave, pretty awesome job! The snare can feel poky in places, just right in the choruses. I found I had to go in and do some manual cut backs on some of the snare trans to get it a little more consistent and added in some room samples to push back some of the upfront feeling. Killer tone on the kick although for some it may be a smidge weighty. Nice healthy guitars! Overall great job!

RE: Lead Inc: 'The Dice' - wurstdrummer - 04-04-2016

You should definitely keep working on it with, you're on a really good way. This is a solid mix!

Keep it up!

RE: Lead Inc: 'The Dice' - Dangerous - 08-04-2016

(04-04-2016, 01:04 AM)Houndface Wrote: Hey Dave, pretty awesome job! The snare can feel poky in places, just right in the choruses. I found I had to go in and do some manual cut backs on some of the snare trans to get it a little more consistent and added in some room samples to push back some of the upfront feeling. Killer tone on the kick although for some it may be a smidge weighty. Nice healthy guitars! Overall great job!

Spot On! Houndface. I'm quite happy with with snare through the choruses but not so much with the verses and intro. Still sounding too snappy and light weight. Will keep working at it. Thanks for confirming this.

Dave.

RE: Lead Inc: 'The Dice' - Digitaldruglord - 08-04-2016

I agree, this is a solid mix.

RE: Lead Inc: 'The Dice' - Dangerous - 09-04-2016

(08-04-2016, 11:42 AM)Digitaldruglord Wrote: I agree, this is a solid mix.

Thanks Ddl for the comments, will try to build on what I've started.

Dave

RE: Lead Inc: 'The Dice' - dcp10200 - 11-04-2016

Dave, your mix is really quite solid and punchy especially the drums. The kick is really fat and just hits nice and hard, the snare sounds like it has a touch too much bottom mic but it's nothing major (mostly a taste thing). The Guitars are also pretty great sounding, the arpeggiated guitar in the bridge is loud and has a tendency to draw some focus away from the lead vocals but overall the guitars are beefy without really causing any big problems in the mix. The bass in our mixes are actually pretty similar, I think mine is abit lower but tonally they have a similar signature. I noticed the reverb at 1:26 on the toms and snare sound a little artificial, try using a small plate or room reverb with slightly more early reflections than reverb tail so that the reverb basically adds weight and some width to the snare and toms. The vocal balance is also quite good, maybe a touch less backing vocal in the choruses but otherwise they sound good.

Keep it up,
Dcp

RE: Lead Inc: 'The Dice' - Shul - 11-04-2016

Hey Dangerous

Here are my observations

*Solid Balance
*Solid stereo separation
*for my taste the guitars are missing a bit of the punch. I'd love it if they were a bit fatter.
*I would love a bit more fullness on the snare. But it seats nice in the mix.
*The bass is missing for me in some of the parts. I'm really missing the low end of it.
*Drums are poking out a bit too much for me. Could be the eq you used. Or it could be the lack of bass and the somewhat thin feel of the guitars or both things that Is making me feel like they poke out a bit.

Feel free to ignore some of my points as they are based more on taste.
All in all it's good. Keep it up.