Discussion Zone
James May Hold On You Mix - Printable Version

+- Discussion Zone (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com)
+-- Forum: 'Mixing Secrets' Free Multitrack Download Library: mixing forum (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=184)
+--- Forum: Acoustic, Jazz, Country, Orchestral (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+---- Forum: James May: 'Hold On You' (http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=321)
+---- Thread: James May Hold On You Mix (/showthread.php?tid=11871)

James May Hold On You Mix - mixerjason - 25-08-2015

Hi James and everyone,

James: Thanks for letting us mix your song, it is really nice of you.

I really enjoyed mixing this song. I did a couple of things that I hope sound good.

The first thing I did was Parallel Compress the Drums except for the kick. I also triggered the kick drum using Slate Trigger.

I double the vocals and ran a plugin by sound toys called Little Alter Boy. I think it gives the vocals a cool effect. Other than that I just eq'd compressed gently and doubled a couple of things. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Jason

RE: James May Hold On You Mix - DaveDaG - 26-08-2015

(25-08-2015, 10:19 PM)mixerjason Wrote: Hi James and everyone,

I really enjoyed mixing this song. I did a couple of things that I hope sound good.

The first thing I did was Parallel Compress the Drums except for the kick. I also triggered the kick drum using Slate Trigger.

I double the vocals and ran a plugin by sound toys called Little Alter Boy. I think it gives the vocals a cool effect. Other than that I just eq'd compressed gently and doubled a couple of things. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Jason

Ok, nice take on this, I like your creative approach and fx
I think you could go further: at 0,45 you could open up the mix on the stereo field, overheads and gtrs also, then in the 2nd verse you could come back to the closer perspective and open again on chorus

now vocals sounds good, but a bit unglued

I love "weird" mix, but you have to "justify" the choices
imo
d

RE: James May Hold On You Mix - mixerjason - 26-08-2015

Thanks for the reply! Great points. I love the idea of the opening up the mix. I will give that a shot. I will take another look at the vocals too and see if I can get them to glue better. Thanks again for listening!!

(26-08-2015, 02:31 PM)DaveDaG Wrote:
(25-08-2015, 10:19 PM)mixerjason Wrote: Hi James and everyone,

Thanks,

Jason

Ok, nice take on this, I like your creative approach and fx
I think you could go further: at 0,45 you could open up the mix on the stereo field, overheads and gtrs also, then in the 2nd verse you could come back to the closer perspective and open again on chorus

now vocals sounds good, but a bit unglued

I love "weird" mix, but you have to "justify" the choices
imo
d

RE: James May Hold On You Mix - DaveDaG - 26-08-2015

(26-08-2015, 03:50 PM)mixerjason Wrote: Thanks for the reply! Great points. I love the idea of the opening up the mix. I will give that a shot. I will take another look at the vocals too and see if I can get them to glue better. Thanks again for listening!!

Opening the mix you'll probably glue the vocal automatically

RE: James May Hold On You Mix - mixerjason - 26-08-2015

Hi Everyone,

Here is try #2 on this mix. Thank you for the suggestions on how to make it better! I added a stereo imager which I really think opens up the mix as well as glues the vocals as d said it would Smile As far as I can tell it is in phase I am pretty new to using a stereo imager and was worried it might be out of phase. Thanks for listening.

Jason

(26-08-2015, 04:14 PM)DaveDaG Wrote:
(26-08-2015, 03:50 PM)mixerjason Wrote: Thanks for the reply! Great points. I love the idea of the opening up the mix. I will give that a shot. I will take another look at the vocals too and see if I can get them to glue better. Thanks again for listening!!

Opening the mix you'll probably glue the vocal automatically

RE: James May Hold On You Mix - HbGuitar - 28-08-2015

Hey mixerjason.

Love the fact that you've changed things up and given the mix a different approach. Everything sounds nice enough individually, but I'm not sure either mix works as a whole.....lots of instruments but no ensemble.

thoughts that spring to mind

1. Vocal, drums and guitars seem to exist in three separate ambient spaces, which I personally find very distracting
2. The guitars are very narrow, almost mono, and the vox is really wide
3. Slide guitar seems to vary quite drastically in volume

I guess if you are going for an unorthodox approach, and I applaud you for doing so, you need to work extra hard on creating believability in the illusion that you are creating - and right now there are too many glimpses behind the curtain for me to really believe.

keep working at it -- it'll pay off.

Cheers, Simon