Discussion Zone

Full Version: #47 21GRAMS – Everybody Here Wants You, Sean Penn!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Am I the only one to find some JeffBuckleyness in this one? Very frustating tune, I wish I could have matched the silky color of the preview but it seems I tend to fall for tincan sounding things. There's something that's just off...

Eager to know, where u you think the damage comes from?

UPDATE - v2 applying FytaKyte and KMuzic's much appreciated EQ advice!
Hi Deliza

I like the mix, but seems to be lacking low end information and and a bit too much in the 4k range. I played with your mix a bit to try to find the lacking frequencies and seems 62 and 250 could use a 3 db boost and 4k a 1 to 2 db cut and it starts to fatten and smooth out. But that's just on the total mix , but it might give you some areas to look at.

Hope this helps
Cheers
KSmile
Thanks, will check those freqs! Ear fatigue makes highs softer, does it? That'd explain why I thought it might be too boomy and dark and compensate (meaning, screw) on (picture Doctor Evil here) """maaastering""".
i think low end sounds good. maybe just take overheads / cymbal channels down? a good strategy could be to listen the track a few times with overheads / cymbals muted. to get used to the sound. maybe readjust some close drum mic levels to keep beat going on. then bring up the overheads / cymbals only a minimal amount, to fill in the 'gaps' and hopefully get some cymbals back too. ^_^
Hi Deliza, this song is deceptively tricky to mix. I think it is actually the sparseness of the instrumentation that makes it all the more difficult, because each individual element has to contribute so much to give the perception of fullness and "balance".

I noticed you mentioned your dissatisfaction with the overall sound of your mix, and I was curious about why it might be happening. I mixed this song quite a while ago, but from memory, either the overheads, the room mics, or both needed some eq work to stop them becoming harsh in that area. My first reaction in listening to your mix was to think that there may be too much high-mid energy in the mix, causing it to sound a little on the harsh side, or a little "tincan"-ish, as you describe it...

So, I downloaded your mix to try to analyse it in a bit more detail. I was curious to see whether boosted high mids were in fact the issue, or whether it was something slightly less obvious. What was evident from viewing the response of the mix via SPAN was that the high mids actually appear pretty flat in response, and pretty much in line with what I usually see on well balanced mixes. However, looking down the frequency response graph, I noticed a fairly large frequency dip that extends right from about 70hz through to 200hz, and centred around 130hz. So I did a couple of fairly hefty eq boosts around that area and I noticed that suddenly the mix filled right out in the low end, and consequently it balanced out the top end in quite a pleasing way. With that in place, I high passed the mix at 36hz, did a very slight dip around 5.8k and a gentle shelf boost around 11k.

It's certainly wasn't perfect, but it definitely gave the mix more low-mid to high-mid balance and more "silkiness". Of course, you always have to be careful with the low mids, because things can get muddy really quickly when you start boosting there... So my suggestion would be to just simply start by bringing up the level of the bass guitar, rather than eq'ing the whole mix. Because the rhythm guitar has little low mid information, as do the keyboards, the bass guitar can really be allowed to fill up this area and form a nice "pillow" for the mix to sit on. Sometimes compressing bass more assertively can also help it sit in the mix at a higher level too.

Attached below is the eq I did to get the result I described:
My thoughts are:
We have here skilled musicians and very good singer. Alongside with poor instrument arrangement and lack of good sounds.
I would gladly loose more time on this mix for a friend - or being paid.
But in this case at the end we are saving - not creating.
(19-06-2019 01:08 AM)FytaKyte Wrote: [ -> ]I think it is actually the sparseness of the instrumentation that makes it all the more difficult, because each individual element has to contribute so much to give the perception of fullness and "balance".

It definitely feels hard to get a full soundscape, but then a 2 guitars-bass-drum combo (plus the occasional organ, etc but focusing on the core sound of it) shouldn't. I think it has more to do with drums coming from some kind of e-kit, pretty sure looking at that perfectly isolated hihat?

(19-06-2019 01:08 AM)FytaKyte Wrote: [ -> ]I noticed a fairly large frequency dip that extends right from about 70hz through to 200hz, and centred around 130hz.

Sadly, I can't restore the mix and I'm mainly focused on some other songs (and real life too, duh) but I'm definitely trying some of those EQ suggestions (and Kirk's too) in my "Mastering" session, which should be a little more forgiving than working with a brickwalled limited mp3. Will update asap, thanks everyone for the kind appreciations!
v2 uploaded with some EQ modifications (as suggested by FytaKyte and KMuzic) over the printed mix, revisiting my cheesy home "mastering" session, a proper revisitation of the mix would be more effective, I guess, but this wil have to do.

Thanks everyone for your time and kindness!
Hey Deliza

For a quick tweak on the overall mix it worked out pretty good. overheads sound smoother and the snare a lot fatter. Low end filled in a lot, I think the work you did on the 2 to 4k and above regions is where it pulled it together nicely.
Nice Job!!

Cheers
KSmile
In all truth, the mid range tweaks were reaaaally subtle, the 70-200 lift was the first thing I did and I inmediately made a difference. Then I took half a step back with final compression and limiting (still, it seems it's pretty much the same loud, so I guess that compression and limiting is somehow softening the mid, somehowish?). Whatever, thanks for the help, have a killer Friday nite!
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's