Discussion Zone

Full Version: Colton Benjamin: 'Can't Let You Go'
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My Mix

Comments Welcome

Cheers
K
Hi Kirk! I like how it feels pretty raw and crunchy, kinda compensating for the lushy/posh nature of this kind of tune. Drums sound very good to me, though ride/OH's feel soft compared to that punk of a hihat, making the choruses a little weak after the verses. Rhythm guitar feels great all the time.

Are you sending the rimshot to more than one reverb? There's a predelayed reflection on the center of the image and I thought it was some weird nose breathing at first until I realized it was the rim. It's a little distracting and makes the snare on the choruses feel smaller.
That second voice on verse 2 is a good idea, but it might work better if it was panned (right side) because it's sounding more like an effect as it is.

I'm pretty illiterate about Hertz and frequencies, but maybe you could check the lower mid range, it feels as if some parts (bass and Rhodes, perhaps?) are putting too much energy over there, while conversely you could choose some other parts (voice, backing vocals, overheads, plastic horns, you name it) to provide some more hi-end so the mix gets a little more air. Bfff, English pretty thick today, I hope you make any sense out of this. Pretty good mix, but I'm sure there'll be some improved updates coming.
(06-08-2018 10:14 AM)Deliza Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Kirk! I like how it feels pretty raw and crunchy, kinda compensating for the lushy/posh nature of this kind of tune. Drums sound very good to me, though ride/OH's feel soft compared to that punk of a hihat, making the choruses a little weak after the verses. Rhythm guitar feels great all the time.

Are you sending the rimshot to more than one reverb? There's a predelayed reflection on the center of the image and I thought it was some weird nose breathing at first until I realized it was the rim. It's a little distracting and makes the snare on the choruses feel smaller.
That second voice on verse 2 is a good idea, but it might work better if it was panned (right side) because it's sounding more like an effect as it is.

I'm pretty illiterate about Hertz and frequencies, but maybe you could check the lower mid range, it feels as if some parts (bass and Rhodes, perhaps?) are putting too much energy over there, while conversely you could choose some other parts (voice, backing vocals, overheads, plastic horns, you name it) to provide some more hi-end so the mix gets a little more air. Bfff, English pretty thick today, I hope you make any sense out of this. Pretty good mix, but I'm sure there'll be some improved updates coming.
Hi Deliza

Side stick is a definite problem, The reflection is coming from the overheads, drum OH were a problem, I think recorded too hot and made the sidestick and snare a problem, couldn't get a balance. seems everyone's mix I listened to the sidestick and OH seemed to be the biggest problem..weird sounding or too loud. I probably will try EQ ing the OH track and ditch the sidestick track.
I think its the Rhodes needs more work, its a bit flubby. I think that will open it up a lot.
Thanks for commenting, all good points
Cheers
KSmile
Reference URL's