Discussion Zone

Full Version: Anna Blanton - Waves (M&F)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Really good song but as others have noted, a tough little number.

Worked with the Softube British Class A again on this one, and have to say I really like it.

(Updated version)
Recall4 "gone nuclear" version with timing corrections applied.

24-bit 44.1 Reference Master
https://s3.amazonaws.com/digitaldruglord...Final2.wav
Hey man,

Your levels are pretty solid, and i understand why you used the effects you did on the acoustic, but it creates a kind of hole in the mix. It was really hard for me to deal with, but I think i got a good balance of compromise and warm tone. Try warming it up a bit, and try adding a sidechain compressor, with the key being from the kick. It helped me control that low end of the acoustic without making it sound too brittle. You are damn close. Also, try blending the space of the violins and add the acoustic into the space as well. Tuck it down just a little bit, and I think you have a slamming mix.

Nice work on a tough track.

Draper
(04-06-2016 01:16 AM)loweche6 Wrote: [ -> ]Hey man,

Your levels are pretty solid, and i understand why you used the effects you did on the acoustic, but it creates a kind of hole in the mix. It was really hard for me to deal with, but I think i got a good balance of compromise and warm tone. Try warming it up a bit, and try adding a sidechain compressor, with the key being from the kick. It helped me control that low end of the acoustic without making it sound too brittle. You are damn close. Also, try blending the space of the violins and add the acoustic into the space as well. Tuck it down just a little bit, and I think you have a slamming mix.

Nice work on a tough track.

Draper

Thanks Draper.. its a tough one.. I found the percussion in the main GTR ride track getting in the way of the drum work so I cut the bass in that ride GTR to take away the immediate thump in the GTR body slapping (the percussion in the GTR track), as a side effect, losing the body of the GTR in the middle space.

I think I'll tinker with this one on those suggestions, adjust down a few transients.
(04-06-2016 01:16 AM)loweche6 Wrote: [ -> ]Tuck it down just a little bit

I made a recall named "Waves_recal1" in the first post panel. Your suggestions led me to a version I definitely favor and your mix helped point me in the right zone.
Much warmer! Maybe one or two kick hits could come down a bit in the beginning, they bloom a bit.

Aside from that, it's really nice man!

Draper
(04-06-2016 03:01 AM)loweche6 Wrote: [ -> ]Much warmer! Maybe one or two kick hits could come down a bit in the beginning, they bloom a bit.

Aside from that, it's really nice man!

Draper

Thanks, I'll hit that with an automation if I ever find find myself in this session again.

Song kind of reminds me of Burt Bacharach's Alfie https://youtu.be/zZSTR__a8JU?t=14s
You've done a really nice job of this DDL. I like the width and ambience you have created despite everything being panned up the middle. Well Done.

Dave
(04-06-2016 05:03 AM)Dangerous Wrote: [ -> ]You've done a really nice job of this DDL. I like the width and ambience you have created despite everything being panned up the middle. Well Done.

Dave

Thanks Dangerous, I tried wide panning out the violin and the solo gtr in the first print but with the groove in the middle so busy, I decided to make a focused mix with tighter pans because there's so much animation in the foundation of the song.
(04-06-2016 05:03 AM)Dangerous Wrote: [ -> ]You've done a really nice job of this DDL. I like the width and ambience you have created despite everything being panned up the middle. Well Done.

Dave

I did a recall2 version with the solo gtr panned more to the left. Also did some mastering sculpting to smooth the lead vocal in the mix.
Ok, since one of the producers of this song was kind enough to post some background to the recording session, I figured it's only right I bring my "A" game to this one.. I went nuclear, applied BeatDetective in ProTools on a 10% sensitivity splice then a 5% quantize using MPC 16th note swing. The updated version is in top post.

[Image: BeatDetective.png]
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's