Discussion Zone

Full Version: That's Entertainment Dangerous Style
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
WOW! this is gold, Thanks to Mike, Mange and Ojebokoren The variety that we presented with is truly amazing.

First I wasn't sure how to process this one so I started with the M/S main pair and then followed my ears from there. Once I got a room sound I liked with some reverb sends I then brought up the closer mics for some detail. Whether this is the right way to proceed I'm not sure, but I think I'm happy enough with how it's sounds. The piano I feel I've struggled with as usual trying to make the DI sound like a live performance within the same space. I am learning though. Thanks People.

Dave.
Sounds great to my ears. If anything, the piano is a bit distant. I do like that the choir is the clear lead part but I would try to move the piano slightly closer.

Your approach was very similar to mine.
This was my first stab at recording with mid/side and I remember when I had set the rough levels of the mid and the spaced pair mics and slowly raised the side mic. A true wow moment. For whatever reason Mike encoded the mid/side pair to a regular stereo track. So for you to try that out you have to decode the m/s stereotrack to seperate mid and side tracks and set it up properly in your daw.

During recording I also had xy and ortf mic setups experiment going. I had them at the same point as the mid/side pair but it was too close to be usable. It was a fun experiment though. The technique I usually use, xy, was the least impressive of them.
Thanks Mange,

I think the only thing that would have been more enjoyable than mixing this would have been recording it. Well Done.
I definitely preferred the sound from the M/S main over the spaced pair (specially when reduced down to mono) and I guess I've always had a fascination with this style of stereo recording. I think the encoding/decoding of the mid side pair can be confusing which might be why Mike converted it for us. As for the piano I not sure how I'm going to bring it forward a bit more. I did make a 3dB cut at around 4.5k so I might reduce this to restore some presence. See how I go.

Thanks for your help,
Dave.
(04-02-2016 06:51 PM)mange Wrote: [ -> ]For whatever reason Mike encoded the mid/side pair to a regular stereo track. So for you to try that out you have to decode the m/s stereotrack to seperate mid and side tracks and set it up properly in your daw.

I decoded them so because I find it avoids a lot of confusion for newbies. Anyone wanting to readjust the MS balance can do so easily with Voxengo's freeware MSED (or else by just setting up a mono send, without any effects, and mixing that in with or without inverted polarity).
(05-02-2016 08:18 AM)Mike Senior Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-02-2016 06:51 PM)mange Wrote: [ -> ]For whatever reason Mike encoded the mid/side pair to a regular stereo track. So for you to try that out you have to decode the m/s stereotrack to seperate mid and side tracks and set it up properly in your daw.

I decoded them so because I find it avoids a lot of confusion for newbies. Anyone wanting to readjust the MS balance can do so easily with Voxengo's freeware MSED (or else by just setting up a mono send, without any effects, and mixing that in with or without inverted polarity).

That´s totally ok. and I second in on that voxengo MSED plug. it´s very good and easy to use.
Reference URL's